ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Drive Dock: Turn bare drives into floppies

<< < (7/7)

Target:
I have an old Samsung SpinPoint 80Gb IDE drive that would do just fine for backing up my most important files (photos, C# projects, etc.)  What I'd really like to find is an enclosure for it that offers one-touch backup of any directories on my laptop that I've specified.

I don't really care whether I'm dealing with firmware or software, but I'd just like to be able to stick this 80Gb HDD is a box, push a button, and it begins backing up "Pictures"... "Visual Studio Projects"... etc.
-kyrathaba (June 28, 2011, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

batch file....

40hz:
there are a ton of sata hard drive docks
-mouser (June 28, 2011, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can recommend the Thermaltake BlacX Duet SATA dock.  :Thmbsup:

Excellent quality, inexpensive, must-have accessory if you do any kind of PC hardware support or repair work. (Or if you need to scrub a particularly resilient piece of malware off somebody's boot drive.) Prices vary widely so be sure to shop around for it. List is $49.99 USD. But last time I needed another one I ended up scoring two on sale for $22 each. I would have bought more at that price but they were the last two in stock where I got it.

:)

------------
@kyrathaba -Very nice find. Haven't seen one of those before. Caveats aside, I like the fact it's an all-in-one. If they just added in a 6-port USB hub it would be the perfect addition to a technician's field kit. And a lot less to carry.  8)

kyrathaba:
Yes, I really like the Thermaltake BlacX Duet SATA.  Very sharp.  But I don't think it'd work with my old drive, which is IDE.

If they just added in a 6-port USB hub it would be the perfect addition to a technician's field kit.
--- End quote ---

+1

40hz:
But I don't think it'd work with my old drive, which is IDE.
-kyrathaba (June 28, 2011, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

It won't. It's strictly SATA. Straight EIDE docks seem to have disappeared recently. Thermaltake used to make a companion EIDE version OF the BlacX. But I haven't seen one in years so I'm guessing it's been discontinued.

Startech still makes a dual IDE/SATA docking station, but it's fairly pricey.

I had an IDE dock. But it died about a year ago. What I now use is the guts from an old external USB drive enclosure that I leave the cover off of. Not as convenient to use as a real dock. But it does help recycle some of those old dead external IDE drives. Which is a lot greener than tossing them in the trash.
 8)

mwb1100:
I have an old Samsung SpinPoint 80Gb IDE drive that would do just fine for backing up my most important files
-kyrathaba (June 28, 2011, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd just get an inexpensive SATA drive to replace the the 80GB drive and be done with it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version