ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Drive Dock: Turn bare drives into floppies

<< < (5/7) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I have the same computer (motherboard fried from a bad RAM stick, though) - yea, it is just as stupid as can be. And heavy for just a mobo, CPU and case (everything else has been stripped)!

Just another reason to build your computer from scratch, or go my route and mod your OEM to the point of having to ask "will XYZ void my warranty?". I'm sure the downside of my plan is having to explain that yes, this is STILL (technically) an eMachines, and YES, my warranty is (somehow) still valid. That, and my extended warranty through Circuit City was money (not) well spent, as all their AZ stores are closing (dunno about the rest of the USA).

EDIT: Also, that same RAM stick fried a friend's mom's computer when a certain moron (not saying his name, but he is 16 and his name starts with a "w" and ends in "carzz") put it in a 2nd computer - generating the SAME burning smell and smoke. Hmm... odd.

MerleOne:
i wonder if they have docks for IDE hard drives. now i have plenty of those!
-lanux128 (January 29, 2009, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
It think the connectors are also a cause : it must be easier to plug a SATA HDD than a IDE one because of the number of pins on the IDE, which require some precision and maybe also more strenght to plug/remove.

zridling:
Looks similar to this Thermaltake unit, which is more discreet.
-Lashiec (January 31, 2009, 06:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link Lashiec, I like those BlacX models even better.

xtabber:
This is another approach which may be less elegant but is both cheaper and more flexible for occasional use:

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/adapter/BT-300/BT-300.htm

I have one of these and find it very useful because it works with any kind of drive and is small enough to keep in my "fixit" toolkit. Newegg sells the SATA/IDE version for $25 and an IDE only version for $16.

ewemoa:
This is the kind of device (similar to what xtabber posted about) I ended up deciding on.

However, I think what I got only connects to a PC via USB -- it does not do so using eSATA as far as I have determined so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version