ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Drive Dock: Turn bare drives into floppies

<< < (3/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
I noticed a comment about some models falling over
-ewemoa (January 29, 2009, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Drunk on the catwalk?

wreckedcarzz:
i wonder if they have docks for IDE hard drives. now i have plenty of those!
-lanux128 (January 29, 2009, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've found out the hard way that IDE hard drives (and, well, some SATA drives) aren't hot-swap friendly. Especially so when the said drive is, ya know, active. BSoDs and hard lockups aren't usually regarded as a positive thing. :o

But it WOULD be nice to have that ability with these so-called "HD toasters" (I'm hoping because of appearance, not heat! :P) :)
-wreckedcarzz (January 29, 2009, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
"Safely remove hardware", buddy...
-f0dder (January 31, 2009, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can't do "Safely Remove Hardware" on internal drives ;)

EDIT: Although it would be a blast getting someone that pissed you off to "Safely remove C:\" ;D ;D ;D

f0dder:
You can't do "Safely Remove Hardware" on internal drives ;)

EDIT: Although it would be a blast getting someone that pissed you off to "Safely remove C:\" ;D ;D ;D-wreckedcarzz (January 31, 2009, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
You tried hotplugging an internal drive? :o :o :o :huh:

wreckedcarzz:
Uhh... yea? I hot swap internal drives. IDE drives are recognized by windows, but not fully by the BIOS, so you can't interact with them until a reboot. SATA drive hot swapping is fine as long as the drive isn't in use.

f0dder:
Uhh... yea? I hot swap internal drives. IDE drives are recognized by windows, but not fully by the BIOS, so you can't interact with them until a reboot. SATA drive hot swapping is fine as long as the drive isn't in use.
-wreckedcarzz (January 31, 2009, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Man, you're insane :)

Hotswapping requires compliant PSU, Motherboard AND harddrive... and wasn't supported at all (for consumer drives) until SATA came along.

Yeah, I know some maniacs have done it with PATA by tristating the drives, but... ugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version