ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Drive Dock: Turn bare drives into floppies

<< < (2/7) > >>

ewemoa:
In my recent research into these types of devices, I noticed a comment about some models falling over -- I hope this isn't that common (if it really does happen).

Lashiec:
Looks similar to this Thermaltake unit, which is more discreet.

f0dder:
i wonder if they have docks for IDE hard drives. now i have plenty of those!
-lanux128 (January 29, 2009, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've found out the hard way that IDE hard drives (and, well, some SATA drives) aren't hot-swap friendly. Especially so when the said drive is, ya know, active. BSoDs and hard lockups aren't usually regarded as a positive thing. :o

But it WOULD be nice to have that ability with these so-called "HD toasters" (I'm hoping because of appearance, not heat! :P) :)
-wreckedcarzz (January 29, 2009, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
"Safely remove hardware", buddy...

Carol Haynes:
Trouble there is no option to safely remove active IDE drives unless you just remove the whole USB device with the drive and then reinsert it with a new drive.

I don't have a great deal of success in 'safely removing' even USB drives as they are often 'in use' when it comes to removing them - the in use is usually by system processes so I don't feel totally comfortable using unlocker to release them. This often happens - especially if the drive is present when windows starts (Seems to be less of a problem if you plug the drive in after windows is up and running).

f0dder:
Depends on how smart the USB device is, Carol... some of the power-off the drive when you do "safe remove". As for not being able to safe-remove, the only thing I've had locking it up is TSVNCache, from TortoiseSvn, and that process is 100% killlable :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version