ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Drive Dock: Turn bare drives into floppies

(1/7) > >>

zridling:
If you've upgraded the hard drive in your laptop or desktop machine, then you've got a naked, homeless hard drive sitting around in one of your drawers. Put that puppy to use by plugging it into ThinkGeek's External USB SATA Drive Dock and boom, you've got extra storage without the enclosure.

I've got several old hard drives lying around with great stuff on them, and I can plug them into the dock as needed. At $40, it's worth a shot. And just so you know, there are tons of these from other companies on Newegg.com.

40hz:
Awesome! I'm ordering one of these right now.

Thanks Z! :Thmbsup:

lanux128:
i wonder if they have docks for IDE hard drives. now i have plenty of those!

wreckedcarzz:
i wonder if they have docks for IDE hard drives. now i have plenty of those!
-lanux128 (January 29, 2009, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've found out the hard way that IDE hard drives (and, well, some SATA drives) aren't hot-swap friendly. Especially so when the said drive is, ya know, active. BSoDs and hard lockups aren't usually regarded as a positive thing. :o

But it WOULD be nice to have that ability with these so-called "HD toasters" (I'm hoping because of appearance, not heat! :P) :)

zridling:
This would be especially convenient to drop an NTFS (Win) drive into my Linux box, mount it, and transfer some things to another's computer. Drivers...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version