topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Codex Transportica -- My Favorite Entry  (Read 10865 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Codex Transportica -- My Favorite Entry
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:23 AM »
Most DC members are aware that Nick Pearson, the brilliant artist who created the mascot for this site (Cody), teamed up with Tim Smith (who writes the text) to work on a couple of other sites.  Head in the Clouds is their whimsical and light-hearted cartoon about two funny birds and and Codex Transportica is their darker more moody vision of devices from an alternate reality.

Anyway, what i wanted to mention today is that Tim has written my favorite entry so far in the Codex Transportica this week, and I loved it so much i just had to share it and urge you to stop by the Codex Transportica site if you have't yet:

http://www.codextran...r-and-baby-behemoth/

Screenshot - 1_27_2009 , 11_16_10 AM_thumb.png

"And so it was that once again Britannia was able to look beyond its own borders to help those less fortunate than itself. The Ministry of Amelioration soon became established as a leading light in this field, bringing ruined countries back from the brink with its combination of strict but fair intervention, firm but just government, and local inhabitants’ terror of mutant giant babies..."

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Codex Transportica -- My Favorite Entry
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:41 PM »
excellent - a good laugh in the middle there too :D
Tom

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Oh my... thank you very much!  :-[ Nick makes it a pleasure to write this stuff based on those wild illustrations. And we owed our readers a hero by now  :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:30 PM »
thanks for the extra mention, mouser. i'm still trying to dumbfound Tim but it seems impossible to do. (there's still time yet.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Im really curious to read how you to work together, the details of it, on both sites.  Please fill us in!!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I'm writing a short blog entry on the HITC site about how we cartoon together... look out for that on Thursday.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:02 PM »
codex transportica:

• i do a quick sketch when i'm in the mood
  • email it to Tim
  • Tim says: i think i have an idea for that one
  • a few days pass
  • Tim emails me the new text
  • i say: perfect, that fits just right

sometimes Tim will suggest a new vehicle and sometimes i will add a tiny bit to the text. i tend to act as editor to try and keep things in line with my 'grand vision'.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:12 PM »
so do i understand it that something like the entry above, you draw an image but without any storyline behind it -- it just emerges from your brain as an image.  and then tim makes up a story around the image?  that is so neat and interesting.  how either of you come up with your part i'll never know, but combined they are very compelling.  still hard to believe you don't collaborate on the ideas before the drawing.  Must be fun for both of you to be able to surprise the other one.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58 AM »
It's my "after Sunday lunch treat" to siddown with a cup of coffee and write up the next CT thing for Monday's site update.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:06 AM »
correct: there isn't any storyline behind the drawings (perhaps i shouldn't have revealed that). sometimes there are loose ideas that we joke about, e.g. "let's have a series of vehicles with names based on historical figures: vlad the impala, etc." we'll then 'jam' in skype and throw out a list of stupid names until there are a few to play with.

other than that there isn't any planning. i'll just draw something when i have a flash of inspiration. usually the end result isn't anything like i'd expected it to be. as i don't use any reference images, all i concentrate on is drawing something that has correct perspective and looks implausible using current technology. (well, i've used two reference photos so far: a hamster and an impala automobile.)

the vehicles tend to build themselves as they are drawn. better ideas come along as i'm doing them so large bits get rubbed out and something more stupid will be put in its place. then end result is scanned and cleaned up a bit in Photoshop. after that i may go back and erase bits from the original sketch and put new things in knowing that i've got a 'safe' version stored on the computer.

then i email it.

Tim then looks for ways of making the vehicle seem plausible and gives it a purpose. i may offer a suggestion sometimes as to what the vehicle could be, or i might point out a detail that i think is important to write about. mostly, Tim has total freedom to write what he likes. that's where the fun part is for me. i'm always pleasantly surprised by what he writes. it's always more than i could have thought of myself; more detail, more history, more big words. he connects the implausible parts of the vehicle so that they have a purpose which is very satisfying for me to see.

other than that, sometimes i may add an extra line or a paragraph to explain something i think can't be ignored. Tim always gets the tone right and he has evolved the background story into something that 'could' go somewhere. There was never a real story behind the original idea for the website but now i think we have one. hopefully this will become obvious when we try to put it into the illustrated book. at present, there isn't any story for it but i hope that it will manage to explain what the Transportica was all about.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:47 PM by nudone »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 05:15 AM »
I always try to include a couple of in-jokes and weird names for the observant.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 05:37 AM »
I always try to include a couple of in-jokes and weird names for the observant.

good point. i somehow forgot to mention that.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 07:32 AM »
better ideas come along as i'm doing them so large bits get rubbed out and something more stupid will be put in its place
(emphasis mine) - that part made my day :)
- carpe noctem