ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Free Ubuntu pocket guide available for download

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
Deo:

http://techtronic.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/linux-join-a-windows-workgroup-in-ubuntu/

To join a Windows Workgroup (MSHOME, etc)

1. Go to the “System” menu
   2. Go to “Administration“
   3. Select “Network“
   4. Go to the “General” tab

* Host Name: What you want your computer to be named on the network
    * Domain: equivilant to WORKGROUP in Windows. Put your workgroup here (ex: MSHOME)

--- End quote ---

Then take a look at this link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsXPPrinter

:Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
To join a Windows Workgroup (MSHOME, etc)

1. Go to the “System” menu
   2. Go to “Administration“
   3. Select “Network“
   4. Go to the “General” tab

* Host Name: What you want your computer to be named on the network
    * Domain: equivilant to WORKGROUP in Windows. Put your workgroup here (ex: MSHOME)

--- End quote ---

That doesn't work because System->Admin->Network doesn't exist.

The nearest thing I have is System->Admin->Network Tools, but that just lets me do things like ping, whois, tracert, etc. I also have System->Preferences->Network Configuration, but that just brings up my network connections list.

That's been the problem with a lot of how-tos for Ubuntu. They tell me to do something and it's impossible because the place they tell me to go doesn't exist.

40hz:

That doesn't work because System->Admin->Network doesn't exist.

The nearest thing I have is System->Admin->Network Tools, but that just lets me do things like ping, whois, tracert, etc. I also have System->Preferences->Network Configuration, but that just brings up my network connections list.

That's been the problem with a lot of how-tos for Ubuntu. They tell me to do something and it's impossible because the place they tell me to go doesn't exist.
-Deozaan (February 06, 2009, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

What version of Ubu are you running?

Oh never mind...

From the top menu: go to Applications then to Add/Remove

Select System Tools

Scroll on the window on the right until you see Network and Network Tools

I'm guessing Network Tools is checked and Network isn't?

Put a check next to Network and then hit the Apply Changes button.

Network is supposed to be installed by default. Somehow it either didn't get installed, or was inadvertently removed after your initial install.

Network
Cross-platform configuration utilities for GNOME

The GNOME System Tools are a fully integrated set of tools aimed to make easy the job that means the computer administration on an UNIX or Linux system. They're thought to help from the new Linux or UNIX user to the system administrators.
Its main advantages are:
* Full integration with the new GNOME Control Center.
* An user-friendly interface to carry out the main administration tasks.
* The use of a common user interface in every system.
* A common structure that makes easy the development of new system tools. Nowadays there are tools for managing:
* Date and time
* Network configuration
* Services
* Shares
* Users and groups

--- End quote ---

Good luck! :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Thanks for the help 40hz.

With that information I was able to install some other missing system tools that Ubuntu (8.10) told me to configure. Unfortunately, it still can't find my printer.

It's not that important anyway. I'm thinking of getting rid of Ubuntu because it has some big problems on my netbook. For instance, there are lots of applications that can't be resized to fit within my small resolution. And when I click on them they kind of jump back and forth between the top and the bottom. That is, the top of the application snaps to the top of the screen forcing the bottom of the app off the bottom of the screen, and then when I click, the bottom of the app snaps to the bottom of the screen forcing the top of the app off the top of the screen. When it does that I can't click any buttons on the app (such as close) because when I click, the button isn't in the same place anymore.

Or some applications will resize to the screen, but the content of the app will not. So there will be options and information not displayed and no way to scroll down to it. One of the main reasons I decided to go with Linux was because of my programming class, but the application we're using (Eclipse) has this problem. So most likely I'll be uninstalling Ubuntu and sticking with XP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version