topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free Ubuntu pocket guide available for download  (Read 8870 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free Ubuntu pocket guide available for download
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:37 PM »
This 170-page freebie is making the rounds in the Ubuntu community. Download your copy.

Homepage: http://www.ubuntupoc...guide.com/index.html

UBUBOOK.png

From the website:

The ultimate Ubuntu book!

Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference is now available! Written by award-winning author Keir Thomas, Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference is a totally unique and concise guide for everyday Ubuntu use.

* Focuses on core competencies and background knowledge needed to be an expert Ubuntu user;
    * Readable, accessible, and easy to understand—even if you've never used Linux before;
    * 100% new and original! Written from the ground-up to cover Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10.

How to get it

Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference is available in print and PDF editions.

* The Print Edition is available for a recession-busting $9.94 from Amazon.com. Add it to your Amazon order now!
    * The PDF Edition is entirely free of charge and is identical to the print edition. Grab the PDF or click here to tell a friend!

* Download location 1 http://download.ubun...pocketguide-v1-1.zip

* Download location 2 http://download.ubun...pocketguide-v1-1.zip

Current release: ubuntupocketguide-v1-1.zip
md5sum: 0b4fa10a6f4995b3e2f729454c1462b6
Filesize: 2064348 bytes

8)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:39 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Ubuntu pocket guide available for download
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:05 AM »
I wonder if it meets Ubuntu's requirements of "free."

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll likely be downloading it tomorrow once I get Ubuntu installed on my netbook. :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:10 PM »

Moot. It's an original copyrighted work that doesn't incorporate anything released under GPL, Copyleft, or other open sharing licenses. The author seemed to strike a happy balance between the two worlds:

"Pay for print - but "E" is free." (Sorry, I just made that up. Couldn't resist. ;D)

And at 170 pages, once you add in the cost of wear and tear on your printer, the cost of paper and ink (or toner), a binder to put it in, and your time to do it - buying the book at $9.95 from Amazon is probably a whole lot cheaper. Not to mention it's a nicer product.

So even if it is copyrighted (with all that implies), it's still a very nice little book.

Can't have everything I guess.

(But that will only upset the zealots. ;))

Ubuntu's "Official Guide" (released under copyleft) is completely free.

You can download that book for free here:

http://www3.vista-se.../24/958328512281.zip

8)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:31 PM by 40hz »

bgd77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:37 AM »
Thanks for the books, 40Hz! They'll make an interesting read.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:08 AM »
Thanks. Yeah, it's really a moot point. Lots of authors do it this way too except they secretly do it via giving away their e-books on public torrent trackers. Sometimes anonymously. This guy is just being more open about it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Might be the start of a new OSS mantra: "Free" as in "For Download." ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28 PM »

Moot. It's an original copyrighted work that doesn't incorporate anything released under GPL, Copyleft, or other open sharing licenses.

Yeah I didn't mean it to be taken seriously. I've just recently been reading up on the philosophy behind Ubuntu and in passing wondered if the book itself shared the same ideals.

In either case, the book was no help to me in getting my network printer set up in Ubuntu. The machine it is connected to is running XP Pro and Ubuntu can't seem to find the SMB or workgroup or anything.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Keir Thomas's Tips book is helpful, too. Nice find, 40hz!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 07:11 AM »
In either case, the book was no help to me in getting my network printer set up in Ubuntu. The machine it is connected to is running XP Pro and Ubuntu can't seem to find the SMB or workgroup or anything.

I'll assume your printer is already shared under XP, and you've set up the correct workgroup name in your Ubuntu network configuration...so check your firewall settings to see if it's blocking your Tux-box's IP-Address or service request.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:41 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:46 PM »

I'll assume your printer is already shared under XP, and you've set up the correct workgroup name in your Ubuntu network configuration...so check your firewall settings to see if it's blocking your Tux-box's IP-Address or service request.

I couldn't find the Ubuntu network configuration. But yes, it's already shared and I print to it from 3 other XP machines. I'll have to take a look around Ubuntu for the workgroup settings. . .

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:58 PM »
Deo:

http://techtronic.wo...workgroup-in-ubuntu/

To join a Windows Workgroup (MSHOME, etc)

1. Go to the “System” menu
   2. Go to “Administration
   3. Select “Network
   4. Go to the “General” tab

* Host Name: What you want your computer to be named on the network
    * Domain: equivilant to WORKGROUP in Windows. Put your workgroup here (ex: MSHOME)

Then take a look at this link:

https://help.ubuntu....ity/WindowsXPPrinter

:Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:29 PM »
To join a Windows Workgroup (MSHOME, etc)

1. Go to the “System” menu
   2. Go to “Administration
   3. Select “Network
   4. Go to the “General” tab

* Host Name: What you want your computer to be named on the network
    * Domain: equivilant to WORKGROUP in Windows. Put your workgroup here (ex: MSHOME)

That doesn't work because System->Admin->Network doesn't exist.

The nearest thing I have is System->Admin->Network Tools, but that just lets me do things like ping, whois, tracert, etc. I also have System->Preferences->Network Configuration, but that just brings up my network connections list.

That's been the problem with a lot of how-tos for Ubuntu. They tell me to do something and it's impossible because the place they tell me to go doesn't exist.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01 AM »

That doesn't work because System->Admin->Network doesn't exist.

The nearest thing I have is System->Admin->Network Tools, but that just lets me do things like ping, whois, tracert, etc. I also have System->Preferences->Network Configuration, but that just brings up my network connections list.

That's been the problem with a lot of how-tos for Ubuntu. They tell me to do something and it's impossible because the place they tell me to go doesn't exist.

What version of Ubu are you running?

Oh never mind...

From the top menu: go to Applications then to Add/Remove

Select System Tools

Scroll on the window on the right until you see Network and Network Tools

I'm guessing Network Tools is checked and Network isn't?

Put a check next to Network and then hit the Apply Changes button.

Network is supposed to be installed by default. Somehow it either didn't get installed, or was inadvertently removed after your initial install.

Network
Cross-platform configuration utilities for GNOME

The GNOME System Tools are a fully integrated set of tools aimed to make easy the job that means the computer administration on an UNIX or Linux system. They're thought to help from the new Linux or UNIX user to the system administrators.
Its main advantages are:
* Full integration with the new GNOME Control Center.
* An user-friendly interface to carry out the main administration tasks.
* The use of a common user interface in every system.
* A common structure that makes easy the development of new system tools. Nowadays there are tools for managing:
* Date and time
* Network configuration
* Services
* Shares
* Users and groups

Good luck! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:07 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Thanks for the help 40hz.

With that information I was able to install some other missing system tools that Ubuntu (8.10) told me to configure. Unfortunately, it still can't find my printer.

It's not that important anyway. I'm thinking of getting rid of Ubuntu because it has some big problems on my netbook. For instance, there are lots of applications that can't be resized to fit within my small resolution. And when I click on them they kind of jump back and forth between the top and the bottom. That is, the top of the application snaps to the top of the screen forcing the bottom of the app off the bottom of the screen, and then when I click, the bottom of the app snaps to the bottom of the screen forcing the top of the app off the top of the screen. When it does that I can't click any buttons on the app (such as close) because when I click, the button isn't in the same place anymore.

Or some applications will resize to the screen, but the content of the app will not. So there will be options and information not displayed and no way to scroll down to it. One of the main reasons I decided to go with Linux was because of my programming class, but the application we're using (Eclipse) has this problem. So most likely I'll be uninstalling Ubuntu and sticking with XP.