ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for simple backup software

(1/4) > >>

MrCrispy:
I've read many articles/threads on backup/imaging but still haven't found something that is simpe enough for a novice yet powerful. What I'm looking for -

1. define backup profile like backup a certain folder/drive
2. detect external drives based on their unique serial numbers, not drive letter
3. automatically run the backup when the external drive is connected
4. be able to monitor the backup location for changes
5. keep multiple revisions
6. keep backup files in a native format, so I can use the backup drive anywhere
7. be integrated into explorer, like previous versions. So I can right click on a file/folder and say, show me the last 2 revisions

Many programs do 1,4,5 but I haven't seen anything which combines all the above.

tomos:
not familiar with this one but it seems to do #2 anyways

No Hands Backup (http://www.anderssoftware.com/) has a bit of a quirky interface but it does all the standard file-level backup ups (zipped or not, multiple versions or not, filters, schedule). For me it has one killer feature, you can associate a backup with a particular removable media (by serial number or label). That way I could tell my mum "just put the red usb key in the drive once a week" and NHB automagically detects that this particular USB key is in and asks "want to start the backup?" and then just does it (i usually get her to do it when i chat with her on the phone). I use it to run different backups on different DVDram disks, and on my external drive etc. It's a very nice feature.
-iphigenie (February 27, 2007, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

MerleOne:
I've read many articles/threads on backup/imaging but still haven't found something that is simpe enough for a novice yet powerful. What I'm looking for -

1. define backup profile like backup a certain folder/drive
2. detect external drives based on their unique serial numbers, not drive letter
3. automatically run the backup when the external drive is connected
4. be able to monitor the backup location for changes
5. keep multiple revisions
6. keep backup files in a native format, so I can use the backup drive anywhere
7. be integrated into explorer, like previous versions. So I can right click on a file/folder and say, show me the last 2 revisions

Many programs do 1,4,5 but I haven't seen anything which combines all the above.
-MrCrispy (January 26, 2009, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think SFFS, Super Flexible File Synchronizer is close to do what you want, may be not all but most of them.
http://www.superflexible.com/ which does 1,2?,3?,4,5,6, 7
Also AJC Backup which does 1,4,5,7

cmpm:
This seems close except the serial number deal.

http://www.macrium.com/default.asp

MerleOne:
I have a very bad experience with Macrium : it install an active filter driver that runs even when Reflect is not running and this had made my XP BSOD several times.  After I removed it, BSOD disappeared.  That was with GAOTD free license a while ago.  Maybe it's fixed now...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version