ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for simple backup software

<< < (2/4) > >>

cmpm:
hm, yes you are right MerleOne.
And they have not found a solution yet.
Putting the problem on other hardware or software of the user.
Instead of trying to duplicate the problem.
That's what I see from this forum discussion of what you said.

When I try to explore an image by assigning drive letter and then just go around and browse folders I got a blue screen crush!

I use Macrium reflect - free edition - version 4.2 build 2021
on windows xp sp 3

Thanks
Shimon

Nick

United Kingdom
989 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  11:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shimon

You may have a conflict with other software on your PC.

Nick - Macrium Support

Macrium Reflect is nominated for this years Epsilon award. Please support us by voting. Thanks.
http://www.macrium.com/epsilon.htm
Go to Top of Page

shimon.sofer
Starting Member

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  12:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

1. Does it mean that the image is corrupt or just browse is problematic ?

2. Do you have some list of software which can conflict - I have 42Tags, vnc,skype,msgr, tortoisesvn, clipmate, evernote, ultramon, taskbarshuffle,
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
989 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  13:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:1. Does it mean that the image is corrupt or just browse is problematic ?

Verify it (Other Tasks > Verify) to make sure. If the verify fails then that is also a possible cause of your blue screen on browse.

quote:2. Do you have some list of software which can conflict - I have 42Tags, vnc,skype,msgr, tortoisesvn, clipmate, evernote, ultramon, taskbarshuffle,

The browse driver is a kernel mode file system filter driver. It's a very robust driver but a blue screen is technically possible if another (incorrect) file system filter driver is conflicting with it or the image file is corrupt. We've never seen a blue screen on browse and no-one has ever reported this before, so I'm afraid we can't supply a list of programs that conflict. If you have any installed software that creates a drive letter in Windows, an ISO mounter for example, then that could be a possible candidate.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Macrium Reflect is nominated for this years Epsilon award. Please support us by voting. Thanks.
http://www.macrium.com/epsilon.htm
Go to Top of Page

shimon.sofer
Starting Member

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  14:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The data verification failed...

Is this because my external hard drive is slow on uncompatible ?

Can I save the image on the partition I am trying to backup ?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Regular Poster

61 Posts

Posted - October 16 2008 :  15:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If an image fails to verify, it is usually a sign of a hardware problem.
It could be the hard drive (source or target), bad memory, bad hard drive cable, etc.
You might try a chkdsk /f /r commmand on both drives and see if that helps.
You usually can't save an image on the partition you are trying to back up.
Edited by - Merlin on October 16 2008 15:17:45

Carol Haynes:
For simple file backups what is wrong with Windows Backup ?

zajc:
For me one of the simplest and free backup software is Cobian Backup

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

:Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
One of our clients has a user that spends most of their time on the road which makes backing up to the server impossible. Given that heavily used laptop hard drives are grenade prone ... I set them up with an external hard drive and setup MS's (free) SyncToy as a scheduled task that runs every night.

So far it's worked fine.

@Carol - I agree but, if a traveling user blows a drive in Kanses there is no guarantee they'll be able to restore the NTbackup job file to a usable state (e.g. I don't want to spend that much time on the phone, do you?). The external drive will leave them functional enough to get the job done in a pinch.

MerleOne:
BTW, I think the well known Karen Replicator is also close to what MrCrispy is looking for ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version