topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Going Into Frugality Mode -- What are your Tricks and Tips  (Read 66327 times)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Going Into Frugality Mode -- What are your Tricks and Tips
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 01:28 AM »
Mum grew up during WW2 in the UK - she's about as frugal as they come and make a roast turkey feed the 2 of us for a long time! Even strips the bones to make turkey burgers and boils them for stock!

My tip - I've given up using expensive perfume and buy Johnsons Baby Cologne. At R15 ($1.50) a bottle you can afford to have 2 different scents and alternate and it lasts forever! And you smell good.... :Thmbsup:

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 02:06 AM »
I never use shaving-creams - you additional need a lot of water. But you don´t need to stop shaving. I´m switching each 2-3 days between the cheapest plastic shavers (only using water and they´re often good enough for several weeks) and my electric shaver that works for a very long time without changing the scissors!

We also like it very much to visit regularly second hand trade fairs.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 07:24 AM »
I have a pretty standard Gilette razor and switch blades every 1-2 months, and I use foam or gel. If I don't use that, or try using the cheap plastic razors, things get pretty darn messy and bloody :). Helps a lot shaving in the shower, and getting the skin hot and moist before shaving (that sounded a lot kinkier than it is >_<). I calculated the costs of shaving and iirc it was something around $5/month, which isn't worth obsessing that much about (sure, everything adds up, but I particularly value a good close clean shave without blood :)).
- carpe noctem

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2009, 03:02 AM »
What I've tried for the last year or so is to use a single cheap razor in the shower -- so just warm water, a hand mirror, some lighting, and a bit of patience.  I haven't gotten the cleanest shave, but then using some other methods hadn't succeeded in that either ;)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Here's another tip: avoid the top-brand products.

For example, there's no reason to spend $300+ on an iPod. You could have another device that at least matches the quality and features for 1/3 that price tag, if you look around.

This logic applies all over the place. I mean, sure a BMW might be a better car in some sense compared to my Subaru (although I doubt it). But to achieve a level of performance equal to what I've got you're going to have to spend at least double what I paid. And even if the BMW quality is higher, there's no way that it's twice as good in any objective sense.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 08:45 AM »
This could be a cool tip that helps for a short time: I bought a new car (Fiat Linea Multijet Exclusive Edition) that I can use 2 years without paying it back - after this time I can also decide to change it with another one. It´s cheaper than my old vehicle (Punto 55) at driving (I must admit that I use the old car also). It also has all important features top brand are offering and coasts the half or less than others.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:48 AM by Crush »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2009, 08:48 AM »
This could be a cool tip that helps for a short time: I bought a new car (Fiat Linea Multijet) that I can use 2 years without paying it back - after this time I can also decide to change it with another one. It´s cheaper than my old vehicle (Punto 55) at driving (I must admit that I use the old car also).

You mean you financed it and got a deal that lets you pay nothing for two years?

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Thats right! I don´t have to pay anything in this time. Additionally I have a 5 years mobility guarantee. I also had the luck that I was there at a special day that led to a 500€ tanking coupon - I prefered it to get the money directly for spending it the way I like.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:53 AM by Crush »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 11:10 AM »
RE: Shaving.

Ok, so I probably don't save much in money, but I do save a bunch of time. :Thmbsup:

When I was shaving I saved money by using a straight razor and plain soap.  :o :'(
(don't worry, once you learn to use it properly you get a better shave than with a safety razor...)
Eventually, the razor got dropped in the sink and the blade cracked so I switched to a hair shaper, which is basically the same thing with replacable blades.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Check your grocery receipts -- amazing how many times you find mistakes and/or realize you just paid $16 for 4 decidely non-exceptional organic tomatoes.  >:(

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Check your grocery receipts -- amazing how many times you find mistakes and/or realize you just paid $16 for 4 decidely non-exceptional organic tomatoes.  >:(

I always check my receipts, hoping that I do find a mistake. The supermarket that I shop in will give you one of that item for free if they make a mistake. (but you have to catch it)

herneith

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Hi.  This is my first time posting here.  As an aside I would like to commend this forum for the wealth of knowledge imparted!  So far I've only 'lurked' on this forum.  However, this topic is right up my alley so to speak.  Firstly, grocery shopping. Look for sales when purchasing staples.  If possible buy them in bulk(I'm referring to nonperishable items).  On any given day, there are specials on perishable items such as meat, fish, butter, etc, you get the idea.  For those who can, go to the grocery store and purchase these items on a daily basis .  For those who have to drive, when you see items marked down to basement bargain prices such as toilet paper, canned goods and boxed food items grab them!   .  Luckily, I live within walking distance of a grocery store. Stalk up if you can.  Buy day old bread.  There are 'generic' brand of food items that are considerably cheaper than the 'name' brands and just as good if not better sort of akin to software in this respect.  If you come across coupons for restaurants or fast foods, use them.  When purchasing an item or items, do your research in regards to pricing, this would apply to clothing as well.  That way you have an idea as to what constitutes a reasonable price and you will know when you are getting a good deal when sales occur.  Comparison shop also.  If you have to wait for a major sale to purchase something  do so.  Things such as furniture, appliances, entertainment systems for example.  Try purchasing refurbished items like phones and appliances.  Many of the chain clothing stores are cyclical in regards to their sales.  They bring in new products on a seasonal basis some cycle their products on a much shorter basis.  If you have your eye on a particular piece of clothing, go back in a month and a half and in most stores they will be on sale.  Patronize small businesses for products and services.  You can haggle over price and if the proprietors get to know you as a loyal customers they will lower the cost of their items or services or in the very least give you a good deal.  This also aids your local community.  I have been given steaks, roasts and poultry for free from the butcher I patronized as a sort of thank you for being a loyal customer.  Try the second hand clothing store, I've have friends who found amazing clothes there I kid you not!  If you take Public Transit purchase a monthly pass and use it!  Don't use it just to go back and forth to work.  Also, on any given month, there are, If you live in an urban centre free venues for music, book fares and the like.  The Library may also have movie clubs and such.  One axiom I hold dear, 'Don't look at what you can't afford'.   This is particularly true in these times.   I could go on and on but you get the drift. If needs be, I am capable of squeezing a dime out of a nickel!  Regards.
SKWilliams
It's stupid proof!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2009, 03:32 PM »
If needs be, I am capable of squeezing a dime out of a nickel!

So, er,... if I send you a nickel, you'll send me back a dime, right?

;D

Welcome to DC, herneith! Excellent first post - I hope that there are many more to follow  :Thmbsup:

herneith

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 03:35 PM »
Send me a couple of million and I will see what I can do. :D
SKWilliams
It's stupid proof!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38 PM »
If you come across coupons...

Welcome herneith. (That's 1st Dynasty, isn't it? :)

Excellent advice. Thanks for sharing with us.

My girlfriend is the "coupons & specials queen."

She's disappointed if she can't knock at least $15-20 off our weekly grocery bill using them.

She also has a pretty neat way of shopping which she taught me. She tries to stay out of the aisles as much as possible, and do most of our shopping around the outside track. That's usually where all the specials, staples, and fresh foods are kept in our local Stop & Shop. You spend less and eat much better that way.

Also, cut back on non-food items as much as possible when you're in a grocery store. Things like batteries, many paper products, and non-prescription drugs like Ibuprofin and allergy remedies, are more expensive than they are at places like Walgreens. Since we pass both going and coming, we don't need to go out of our way to shop at both.

If you suffer from allergies and use Zyrtec like we do, shop around for the generic cetirizine hydrochloride. Costco sells brand name Zyrtec 10mg in 100-dose bottles. It costs $243 per hundred. The big store generics run about $20 for a 30-dose package. But recently, we found it (Mfg by: Apotex Corp Toronto Ontario/Weston FLA) at a local private drugstore. The price was $12.99 for a 100-day bottle.

With some skepticism, we grabbed a bottle, and gave it a try for a week. We soon discovered it worked as well the the brand name or the more expensive generic. So the next time we were out, we bought a 300-day supply for each of us (in case they stopped carrying it) at $13 x 6 for a total of $78.

Between the two of us we saved $1380 by not buying brand-name Zyrtec ($1458-$78) and $322 ($400-$78) over the least expensive 'big store' generic we usually bought. Nice. :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Even strips the bones to make turkey burgers and boils them for stock!
:up:
best soup I've ever tasted is made be my mum using stock made from chicken bones

Re shaving I use one of these boyos, formerly owned by my grandfather-in-law

safety_razor.jpg

the blades are (relatively) cheap and are especially good if you dont shave that often (they can handle the volume!)
Tom

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Nice implement, Tomos...
This was my baby until it broke:

dovosolingen.jpgGoing Into Frugality Mode -- What are your Tricks and Tips

It was a birthday present, (as was a pewter mug and brush set from my dear lovely wife  :-* ) so I didn't spend any on it, although you can find them new for $60-$100 USD. Over the course of a year, you'd break about even, and you get to shave in style!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:30 PM by Edvard »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Over the course of a year, you'd break about even, and you get to shave in style!
Is that counting the costs of getting stitches at the emergency room?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Over the course of a year, you'd break about even, and you get to shave in style!
And, is Edvard just your nick name?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2009, 11:53 AM »

-cranioscopical (February 12, 2009, 11:18 AM)

<!groan!> You never cease to amaze, Mr. C!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2009, 12:03 PM »

-cranioscopical (February 12, 2009, 11:18 AM)

<!groan!> You never cease to amaze, Mr. C!

Nor I! Chris, you've acheived perfection with that... I can't breathe!

;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009, 05:27 PM »

LOL!!

I admit, some mornings were, um, redder than others, especially when I first started out.
The only bad cut I got was on my thumb, not my face, and it was because I wasn't paying attention. As I said earlier, once you learn how to use it properly, it's a very nice shave.
If you're game, look up a few videos on the subject. You may be surprised.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:29 PM by Edvard »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2009, 03:08 AM »
It is waaayy past my bedtime here, but I'll post my tips after I get a few hours of sleep.

However I just had to ask - why is there so much talk of shaving in a thread about frugality? I wouldn't think shaving could be much of an expense. Of course I can't really remember what it used to cost me - I've been sporting hair on my face for a number of years now and rarely does a razor get very close to my face!   :D

PS - Why do you need a mirror in the shower with you to shave? I do remember that I could always shave in the shower while still mostly asleep without hurting myself. If you're not trimming around some carefully sculpted beard/mustache combo, you usually have a good idea where everything is!  :P

Man, I had better get to sleep - getting silly now!

Thanks!

Jim

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2009, 06:55 AM »
PS - Why do you need a mirror in the shower with you to shave?
I compared shaving with and without a mirror -- the results seemed noticeably better with the mirror.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009, 08:00 AM »
I'm with Jim - when I have shaved in the shower in the past, it has been sans miroir... Because I like to shower in fairly hot water, I got incredible shaves this way - with a Gillette Sensor, no less (I try to get rid of the "little tiny hairs stickin' out my face" today and "zip, zop, my face is ripped to shreds"!).

To address Jim's initial quesiton, though, cartridge razor blades have risen in price over the past twenty years. Hugely. Perhaps they have simply kept pace with inflation, but they certainly seem much, much more expensive now.