ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Going Into Frugality Mode -- What are your Tricks and Tips

<< < (6/17) > >>

redstarnyc:
That would really be a cool idea.

I also have wish list items on the page along with their cost.  It makes me see how by controlling my spending I can have things I really want.

Example:  I've wanted a Sonos system since it came out (I know, I know).  Once I started tracking the "savings" I was accruing I was able to save enough to get it (on ebay, used is always better than new) and save more money.

Darwin:
Er,... [Darwin clears throat nervously] what about discretionary purchases such as... software! This is the only area in which my spending continues to be just this side of obscene. I bring this up here because I imagine I am not alone on DC in having this compulsion.

I bet I spend over $1000 a year on upgrades and new shareware. Please don't tell Mrs. Darwin or I'll have to change my username to Eunuch  :o

cranioscopical:
Let me get this clear.  Are you proposing, as an economy measure, to trade in Mrs. Darwin in order to free up more funds for software?

Target:
it's been mentioned before, but if you have the space, grow your own fruit and vege's

you don't necessarily need a lot of space, the quality is usually better than anything you can buy, and you will save money.  And you can sell or trade any excess you might produce.

If you don't have the space, look into joining a community garden - you can find these all over (in public open spaces, on rooftops, etc) and not only will you save money on your groceries, you'll likely make some new friends.  An added benefit to these sort of arrangements is that there will be a w i d e variety of produce being grown, and people are always willing to trade or share...

kartal:
Here are my tips

-No car
-No credit card
-No tv
-No cable
-No frozen food
-No Starbucks
-No soda
-No crackers, snackers or other cheap forms of food
-No office job(stay freelance so you do not need to drive to work)
-Somewhat higher deductible health care plan (do not pay 900$ a month for healthcare)
-If you drink, drink close to bed time so would not drink alot every night :)

this should save you at least 1500$ a month

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version