topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: copy paste between 2 computers on separate networks?  (Read 41108 times)

sabot7726

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
copy paste between 2 computers on separate networks?
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:58 AM »
Anyone know of a way to copy/paste text/files between 2 computers on different networks? I have a laptop with a wireless connection as well as my normal desktop which has separate cable modem access.

* Programs like VNC allow copy/pasting but only after I've established a connection which also has all kinds of unwanted screenshots giong back and forth.
* There's also programs like synergy which allow mouse and keyboard commands to transverse computers over ip address.

Seems like the technology would exist to allow copy/paste by ip address but I can't find anything :p

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: copy paste between 2 computers on separate networks?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:01 AM »
Do you plan to use it very often?
otherwise any webbased notetaker would do, like evernote.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:14 AM »
How about pastebin.com? Originally intended for debugging code, but it will store text of any sort on a temporary basis.

What is pastebin?
pastebin is here to help you collaborate on debugging code snippets. If you're not familiar with the idea, most people use it like this:
submit a code fragment to pastebin, getting a url like http://pastebin.com/1234
paste the url into an IRC or IM conversation
someone responds by reading and perhaps submitting a modification of your code
you then view the modification, maybe using the built in diff tool to help locate the changes

And you can make the transaction private too... well slightly private! See the faq for details

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:16 AM by Ampa »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Windows comes with a "remote clipboard service" by default, which is DCOM programmable - I've never used it, though, so have no idea how it works, or if it's only used with stuff like terminal services. Might be worth googling up, though :)
- carpe noctem

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:21 PM »
FTP

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Remote desktop. It supports transfer of clipboards to and from the remote computer.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Two separate IM accounts. Just IM it to yourself.

Alternately, you could also e-mail it to yourself. But if you're doing that, you may as well use pastebin, which Ampa mentioned.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:19 PM »
There's a Clipboard Extender utility called Ditto that will send clipboard content to remote computers that are also running Ditto.

DittoFriendsTab.pngcopy paste between 2 computers on separate networks?

From the program's online help:
Options -> Friends
Friends Table - Ditto can automatically send any or all copies to up to 15 other computers.  Double-Click an entry in the to open the “Friend Details” dialog box.  Enter in the IP/name of the computer you want to send copies to.  If “Send All Copies” is set then every copy will be sent.  Otherwise the Friend will be listed in the right click menu to send them copies individually.

IP/Computer Names Text Edit Box - When a copy is received over the network and the source’s IP or computer name is in this list then the copy will be put directly onto the clipboard.  Otherwise it will only be in the Saved Clips List to use at a later time.  Enter the IP or Computer Names separated by commas into the edit box.

Network Password - When clips are sent over the network the data is encrypted using this password.  On the receiving side the data is unencrypted using their network password.  So when sending a clip across the network, both sides Network Password must be the same.  If this you want to receive clips from multiple people with different passwords then you can enter the registry keys

Receive Passwords - If you are receiving clips from computers where your network password does not match, enter additional network passwords separated by commas.  When a clip is received the network password will be tried first, if that doesn't work the list of "Receive Passwords" will be used to decrypt the clip.

NB: When a clip is received from a Friend, the Friend’s computer name is appended to the end of the Description text.

• Log Send Receive Commands – is used to view what is happing with the send and receive code.  This is to only be used if there are problems and the Ditto team asks for the file to debug.
  • Disable Receiving Clips – This will prevent the server thread from starting and the socket from listening for clips over the network.  If other people send you data you will NOT receive the clips!

By Default Ditto opens port 23443, to change this add a DWORD registry entry "SendRecvPort" to "HKCU\Programs\Ditto"

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I made a bookmarklet for http://cl1p.net I use from my Opera context menu and a cl1p plugin for Quicksilver. For me the slight extra hassle of going via the web is offset by its simplicity, not needing additional software and being cross-platform robust...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:56 AM »
R2 Studios also has a free app that will take pasted text and propogate to the clipboards of other machines on a network. It's called CopyCat
http://www.r2.com.au...e=2&show=copycat

Seems a bit simpler than Ditto, and I recall it wasn't always 100% reliable, but you might have a look.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

ghacks

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Well I'm normally not participating in conversion but how about this experimental Firefox add-on

https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/10489

spooz2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Hi,
Maybe try this paying online service https://secure.logmein.com/ (there is a 15 days trial ). I use the free version (no transfert possible with it - you can maybe send to yourself an email with the documents attached... or use web service like yousendit.com ...)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:39 AM by jity2 »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Remind me of something.

How twins are made.jpg

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Hi,
Maybe try this paying online service https://secure.logmein.com/ (there is a 15 days trial ). I use the free version (no transfert possible with it - you can maybe send to yourself an email with the documents attached... or use web service like yousendit.com ...)

If you are even considering this, then you might want to look at crossloop which is about the same thing.  Of course what these really are is just VNC preset to use as a sight-hosted service instead of you setting up the connections manually, but it works fairly well at any rate.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 03:53 AM »
if you're using Dropbox then just save the text file into the Dropbox folder that is shared between the two computers. that's what i do anyway.

another way is to utilize one of the many online word processors like google docs or zoho.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Yahoo Notepad through the desktop widget is how I have done it, and I can log in and retrieve the notes from their website on PC's that I can't install the widget.

widget: http://widgets.yahoo...idgets/yahoo-notepad

notepad: http://notepad.yahoo.com
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:21 PM by app103 »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Ok I just read the thread because I was looking for similar stuff. The thing is that most of the answers are quite off and not that related to what he is asking. He was not asking for copying and pasting text rather he is looking for hybrid solution. :) Offering things like "ftp" or browser based solutions sounds quite off to me to be honest. I hope people do not get me wrong about this

I used InputDirector in the paste it works well actually (text-files) but I dropped using it because it is windows only. So I am looking for standalone application(it can be windows only no prob) that will support copying pasting of "text/files". Please no browser-ftp based solutions :) I already have quite a lof of workarounds here including using commandline jabber tools, but I am looking for a streamlined solution.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 03:07 AM »
Network Clipboard - Use network clipboard to instantly copy files, texts, images, internet adresses between different computers!  Press Copy on one computer and go to different PC and press Paste. The contents go with you.

Control-Alt-C to Copy
Control-Alt-V to Paste

Standalone executable, just specify a shared folder on a machine somewhere.

It installs a shortcut into Startup when run, wrap it in a batch/AutoIt(HK) file if you don't want this.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Network Clipboard - Use network clipboard to instantly copy files, texts, images, internet adresses between different computers!  Press Copy on one computer and go to different PC and press Paste. The contents go with you.

Control-Alt-C to Copy
Control-Alt-V to Paste

Standalone executable, just specify a shared folder on a machine somewhere.

It installs a shortcut into Startup when run, wrap it in a batch/AutoIt(HK) file if you don't want this.

This looks cool.  Call me moron but I can't figure out how to send an image without using Prnt-Scrn.  I press control-alt-c and nothin' happens unless I have something in the clipboard already.

edit: ok, guess it depends on what the app will do when you press ^C.  Highlighted text works in just about everything.  Irfanview seems pretty good about copying the image.  Guess I can figure it out.  Seems better than saving images as files.

Edit2: only other thing I notice is I get the sound effect in W7 32 bit, but not in Vista64. Esp. where you don't get any visual cue it would be nice if I could fix the sound.

Nice little app though.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:30 PM by MilesAhead »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Too bad ctrl+alt+v interferes with many other applications. At this point I just cant use it because of shortcut issue.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Nice little app though.

It seems to be a rather old app, the website is circa 2000 and the only mention of OS's is for Network Connect and that shows W2000 as the latest.

However, something else for you to try: NetClipboard - Transparent cross-platform clipboard synchronization

Hasn't been updated for a while, last version is 2004 but since the source is available you can modify it to suit if you want to.

However, if you read through the forum for it, (and there isn't that many messages), you will find reference to a program call Spike, (interoperates between Win and Mac although we are talking 2005).  The developer's website makes no mention of it.......and if you thought Network Clipboard was cool, "you ain't seen nothing yet."  :D

From the one site who had info on it that I could find, (do a search, you'll find it if interested):

Clipboard Image.pngcopy paste between 2 computers on separate networks?

In the highly collaborative world of business, we constantly share images, copy and a wide variety of other data. Spike eliminates all of the steps involved in transferring this data across a network.

When you share a Spike clipboard, you see a clipping as soon as it is copied on the source machine. You can immediately drag that clipping into your own document on your own machine, and save valuable time.

Spike is easy to use. Spike uses native copy and paste features to create visual clipboards containing thumbnail images of each clipping. The images are scalable, so you can identify the text or image you’re looking for without opening a file. And you can create multiple clipboards to organize the clippings so that they are easy to find. Spike is secure. All data is encrypted automatically, and you can password-protect access to your clipboard.

Spike requires no configuration. Just start Spike up and it finds all of the other shared Spike clipboards on your network. Simply click on a remote clipboard and visually inspect the clippings. Double click on a clipping to load it, then go to your favorite application and paste. Or drag the clipping from Spike to your application. Collaboration has never been this easy.

It has the features of NetClipboard plus visual representation of multiple clippings, secure synchronisation, multiple clipboards, etc, etc.

You can still grab it on a direct link from the developer's site if you want to play with it: Spike

It was payware but seems to have been abandoned,  (2005), by the developers who seem to have gone Mac-side, who knows maybe a nice email asking if they'd release a public license?

It won't run portable because of a need for the "esellerate engine" used for license registration, so maybe a nice email asking for a non-engined version?

EDIT: And it isn't cross-network but that could be got around by using Hamachi, VPN, etc.

Too bad ctrl+alt+v interferes with many other applications. At this point I just cant use it because of shortcut issue.

Such a negative person.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:47 PM by 4wd »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 10:30 PM »
this is for the same network clipboard sharing-

http://lifehacker.co...work-with-beyondcopy

but in the comments was this and it might be what would work
i'm going to try it myself

http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Such a negative person.

If you can show me where my negativity was I will send you 1 million dollars(cash). I was just stating a functional and pragmatic issue. Was that harsh for you?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:13 PM by kartal »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 11:51 PM »
this is for the same network clipboard sharing-

http://lifehacker.co...work-with-beyondcopy

but in the comments was this and it might be what would work
i'm going to try it myself

http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/

Hmmmmm, tried Ditto.  Couldn't get it to do anything across the network.  Network Clipboard was easier to use, but it didn't work every time and played no sound on Vista64 so I don't know if it's going to paste until I kvma to the other PC.  Since I have to open an app anyway, I might as well just save to a file and double click it. Seems that at least for me, both of these are more hassle than they save.