ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to make an external HD SHUT UP?!?!

(1/2) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

That's the sound my external HD is making. No, there is no damage to the drive - I love the thing, its in perfect condition (although a bit fragmented I assume). I recently moved my computer BACK from it's makeshift desk area (aka the tower of dead computers/cases with my PC on top) into my computer cabinet, once again, spewing hot air back at me (its winter, so it works). But I also have a new external HD that I use for backups - and the cable is about 18" long (1/2 meter?). Too short to stay in it's current position. So, logically, I moved it behind my monitor, inside of the cabinet. Out of sight, out of mind, into ear, teen-programmer-goes-axe-murderer.

I don't know WHY it's making such an annoying noise - my dad's WD "MyBook" 500GB drive doesn't, but this is a Maxtor 250GB One Touch III - and I don't really care why; but I *really* need suggestions on how to make this thing ST*U before I go nuts. I have used HD quieting cases before for internal drives, but I'm looking for something (preferably free, but anything at all is more than welcome) that will quiet this thing down (unplugging/bashing into wall excluded). :wallbash:

Thoughts? Anything?

Last second thought: It *just* (I mean literally as I went to hit "Post") turned itself off due to idling - is there a software that'll do that as SOON as read/write to the drive has "ended"? That might do it...

Deozaan:
Unhelpful answer: Unplug it.

Semihelpful answer: Make sure it's firmly situated and not vibrating itself to death.

Totally helpful answer: [Error! Not found!]

cranioscopical:
Does it have an internal fan?  If so is that still mounted in a vibration-free manner?

wreckedcarzz:
No fan - it is your basic HD within an enclosure (one large unit, warranty void if opened, bla bla). No cooling other than passive (holes @ bottom). :-\

It is sitting fine on the wood surface that is my cabinet, and no matter whether it is vertical or horizontal (designed for either) it makes the SAME noise. :'(

Also, unplugging it would be a somewhat viable suggestion, but I need about 3" more width (desk space, that is) than I have now, so I would have to move my speakers, rotate my monitor, turn the HD around, unplug, and reverse (minus the plugging back in) to get back to work/play on the computer. (I'm continuing to complain @ parents for a real desk)

Edvard:
Put it on top of a suitable vibration-dampening material, like a square of thick pile carpeting or a large Ziploc baggie full of some sort of gelatinous material. Double-bagged to guard against leakage, of course.
Or you could suspend it from a shelf with large rubber bands or springs (an old audiophile trick for isolating turntables).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version