topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone have any tips for optimizing freemium services?  (Read 2536 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone have any tips for optimizing freemium services?
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:12 PM »
This is generally for online backups but I was wondering if anyone have any specific lists of moving their files to and from so that they could add an extra gb if they're dirt cheap.

Obviously services like Google Docs and Zoho Docs could be online repositories for documents but I'm thinking something more along the lines of:

1) Save money for usb.

2) Create a .txt note in usb listing where all the files are online.

3) Use Google Docs for documents

4) Use Evernote 3.0 for web clippings.

5) Use DropBox for actual usb contents.

6) Use Dropboks for individual not so important usb contents.

7) Use another service's freemium options for even more not so important usb contents

8) Use Delicious for not so important bookmarks.

9) Use Diigo for backing up not so important bookmarks and add important bookmarks.

10) Use FoxMarks/Opera to sync very important bookmarks.

11) Use Newsgator to sync rss feeds and Feed Demon as main feeds. Use Google Reader for backing up Newsgator

12) Use usb as temporary place holder for contents to back up.

13) Use an online password manager like LastPass to chain all these applications together.

14) Backup LastPass and use a TrueCrypt'd Keepass file or an exported Clipperz page.

Sorry if these sounds very elementary but I'm far from a network admin who knows how to use stuff like FTP and then minimalize cost. I'm also factoring casual usage here. I just think it would be great to have a set up that allows poor people to get as close to an equal opportunity to richer people without wasting time looking for shortcuts. I know of course that this is suicide especially if lots of services shut down but I bet free space is more important than stability if you're poor. (Most barely have the luxury of keeping their computers forever!)