topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: List of Software that are now abandoned (Add yours!)  (Read 5430 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
List of Software that are now abandoned (Add yours!)
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Hey, I thought I'd made a thread about this since there a lot of software out there that seems like they are functioning well but are officially abandoned and I thought users might like to know that they are without having to go through 101 places to finally confirm this.

Q10: http://www.baara.com...viewtopic.php?id=263

I think the lack of replies to your question sadly speaks for itself. The author has been seen here a few days ago, but hasn't written anything since Sep 12. We still believe he's alive and rescue dogs have been sent out.

Google Notebook: http://googlenoteboo...google-notebook.html

Starting next week, we plan to stop active development on Google Notebook. This means we'll no longer be adding features or offer Notebook for new users. But don't fret, we'll continue to maintain service for those of you who've already signed up. As part of this plan, however, we will no longer support the Notebook Extension, but as always users who have already signed up will continue to have access to their data via the web interface at http://www.google.com/notebook.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: List of Software that are now abandoned (Add yours!)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:48 PM »
I'd add Powermarks, a bookmark manager I used and loved for more than a decade, and InfoLink, the program I used to check links on my websites.  The InfoLink developer, BiggByte, no longer even mentions the program on its website.  Someone put up a comparison of a number of link checkers and said that InfoLink has been discontinued.  He claimed that the program was now available from BiggByte for free, but the link he provided no longer works.

To my surprise, I've been able to replace both of the above programs with Linkman  :Thmbsup:, which has been reviewed and discussed on DonationCoder.  Not only is Linkman a superb bookmark manager, it's also a very fast and reasonably accurate link checker.  I find it MUCH faster than InfoLink and more accurate as well.

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Onfolio. Initially stand alone software it was bought by MS & offered free as an add on to their Live Seach toolbar. Then it just dropped from sight. I'm trying to get people to add to this post: http://boards.live.c...aspx?threadid=924663 to try & have it re-instated. It is/was an extemely useful web research tool allowing one to record anything from a snippet to a whole website. A little like Evernote's web-clipper (but more funtional) or Google's (now redundant) Notebook clipper.
It was my tool of choice over Evernote or Onenote when wanting to keep track of web based research & I mourn its passing.
If you were a user of Onfolio & miss it as I do then please add your comment at the site above or write about it on your blog.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:11 PM by Clive »

zenzai

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 03:31 PM »
Metaproducts Inquiry, an excellent program I've been using for over 10 years, seems to have been discontinued now. No response from developers in user forums anymore, no replies from support to emails. Program has been broken (dialog boxes not responding) by several (currently 5) recent Windows 8.1 updates, apparently the same in Windows 10 but I haven't tracked which updates here, and they don't respond to requests about fixing this.

https://www.metaprod...essional_edition.htm

(can't find a list of discontinued software, so I'll put it here instead, feel free to move it elsewhere if there is a more appropriate place).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:38 PM by zenzai »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Inquiry was last updated February 28, 2015, so Windows 8.1 really should be supported (8.1 came on April 8, 2014). Other than that, yes, The company is alive - their Offline Explorer was updated just two weeks ago - but Inquiry is obviously no longer being maintained. One may want to know why it then is available in their cart? The answer is, because it >"can be installed and used without limiting its features for 30 days. If for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, we offer a 30 days money back guarantee after your purchase."< But not after 10 years.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:24 PM by Curt »