topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Right/left audio switch  (Read 6744 times)

Long.Knight

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Right/left audio switch
« on: January 20, 2009, 06:49 PM »
for verious reasons over the years (cord length, lefty, other) I've had to reverse my sterio speekers.  This almost always creates a problem... few programs offer the option to reverse the sterio channels.   :o
I would love  :-* a program/script/cpl/whatever that could reverse the sterio (left/right) for my speekers!   :Thmbsup:

Thnaks much in advance...
-just another Long.Knight  8)

Ordstrin

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Ordstrin's Home
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Right/left audio switch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:55 PM »
That feature is (as far as I'm aware) usually called Reverse Stereo.

From a little searching, it seems that there's no native way to do this in Windows XP or Vista.

Your best bet is probably to go to the website of the Manufacturer of your Sound Card/Chip, and to look for different drivers and/or a utility that can give you extra control over your audio device.

Other than that the only option seems to be to get an extension cable and put the speakers back on the proper sides of the monitor.

It does sound like an interesting project, a system-wide audio filter.. but that's completely over my head and out of my league, not to mention the time it'd probably take to implement something like that.

~Ordstrin

Pre-post Edit:
This webpage here has a suggestion. What it seems to consist of, is 2 short extension cables and two stereo splitters.
Assuming you don't want to solder one up, you can do it with two 1/8th-inch-plug to twin-RCA-plug adapters, two RCA cable joiners (female sockets at both ends), and one 1/8th-inch cable joiner (female socket at both ends). Plug one adapter cable into the speaker output, attach an RCA joiner to each of its plugs, plug the RCA plugs of the other adapter cable into the joiners (with right going to left and left going to right; this is what swaps the sides), then attach the 1/8th inch joiner to the 1/8th inch plug on the end of the second adapter cable. Plug the headphones into the joiner.

All this isn't terribly elegant, but it's not too hideous or stunningly expensive, and it'll give you a few more metres of headphone cable, in case you need it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:03 AM »
nice find ordstrin -- that mechanical solution seems like a good solution.

Long.Knight

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:11 AM »
thanks Ordstrin 8), I'd rather do it softare wise... (my cat likes to eat cords  >:( so shorter is Aways better for me) but I may not have a choice... LOL

-just another Long.Knight
frequesnt quote from Microsoft customer support...
"Now I see the Problem, you installed Vista!"

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:20 AM »
The best way to fix this without having to ever worry about it again is to get your speakers put in the right way. If you've got small speakers, switch their sides. If they're bigger, just plug them in to the appropriate R or L jacks.

Most speakers I've seen over the past 10-15 years are either labeled L and R or can be individually plugged in to Left or Right jacks on the power source, which is usually a subwoofer.

thecensor

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:26 AM »
That feature is (as far as I'm aware) usually called Reverse Stereo.

Pre-post Edit:
This webpage here has a suggestion. What it seems to consist of, is 2 short extension cables and two stereo splitters.
Assuming you don't want to solder one up, you can do it with two 1/8th-inch-plug to twin-RCA-plug adapters, two RCA cable joiners (female sockets at both ends), and one 1/8th-inch cable joiner (female socket at both ends). Plug one adapter cable into the speaker output, attach an RCA joiner to each of its plugs, plug the RCA plugs of the other adapter cable into the joiners (with right going to left and left going to right; this is what swaps the sides), then attach the 1/8th inch joiner to the 1/8th inch plug on the end of the second adapter cable. Plug the headphones into the joiner.

All this isn't terribly elegant, but it's not too hideous or stunningly expensive, and it'll give you a few more metres of headphone cable, in case you need it.

Here's a simpler solution  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/3Y2NG30BLVMH/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go_o?

Or you can get these any larger 99c or dollar stores (or may be ebay)