ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

IRC chatroom - web or client - problems?

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Or is it?

Every time I click on Chat! (in Firefox or IE) I get a screen asking for a screen name but when I click to join the chatroom I just get an error.

In FF it says: "TypeError: this.onerror is not a function"

I decided to install a client but when ever I connect to a channel TrendMicro RUBotted reports "Detected connection to Botnet Command and Control server" and says a Bot has started up on my system or "Detected DNS query of malicious domain". These BOT warnings only occur when I start up an IRC client, even when I disable IRC monitoring in RUBotted.

Is this just a false positive - or should I be worried?

I have tried running TrendMicro's Housecall, NOD32 AV/AS scanner and Spybot Search and Destroy but none seem to produce anything ???

Ehtyar:
Many Trojans, most notably Storm, use IRC to centralize their control systems. You may find connecting to an IRC on a different port will avoid the warnings. Most IRC servers accept SSL connections on 6669 and 7000. irc.pte.hu I know listens on various ports, a list of which you can find by connecting to and reading the MOTD from the server window.

On a more personal note, this seems to be the same sort of utter inconsiderate negligence that has plagued the security software market for years on end, it really is time it stopped.

Ehtyar.

[edit]
For a client might I recommend ChatZilla under XULRunner, or KVIRC.
[/edit]

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - I have already downloaded Chatzilla and still get the same problem.

I can't find anywhere in Chatzill to set SSL connections or set ports. Any ideas?

mouser:
The online chat on dc website seems to work fine for me.

Carol Haynes:
This is what I get every time:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version