ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Using a Desktop Search through the network

<< < (2/4) > >>

MerleOne:
There is a small tool (commercial) from Valixsoft which is supposed to do quick net searches (maybe not within files).  It is regularly offered on GiveAwayOfTheDay.  It's called Netsearch I think.

I would also recommend ScanFS from Saleen Software.  GUI is a bit overwhelming but it has many features and perform non-indexed search (slow) within files.

Darwin:
dtSearch is another option - but, like the ValixSoft offering, it's pricey. Works well, though (I've got a copy and have used it numerous times over my small wireless network.

Archivarius might be worth a look as well...

Darwin:
PS Software995 also offers SearchWithin in a freeware (ad supported) version:

The free version of SearchWithin will display a sponsor page in your web browser each time you launch the software and every fourth search. If you would prefer not to see sponsor pages, you may download a license key for $9.95. SearchWithin never transmits any personal information or query information. Please see our FAQ for details about our software license or to contact us.
--- End quote ---

wperkins48:
Haven't seen anyone mentions it, but Index Your Files is my choice - by far. [www.indexyourfiles.com] Download link: http://www.freewarefiles.com/Index-Your-Files---X-V-Alpha_program_32912.html

I am indexing Four Drives on the WAN, plus my local hard drive  --  a total of over *1 million* files. Program creates five separate databases that I can mix-and-match as I wish when searching (search Local C Drive and Network K Drive, for instance, or just one drive, for another instance).

I update the index each day at 8:30 AM  --  and really don't notice that much of a performance hit at all. The index updating over the WAN is really unnoticeable since it is not local and I really don't notice when it is updating the Local Drive.

Takes a *long* time to search for text in files, particularly if your database is large, like mine, because contents are not indexed (Duh...). Searching for just files is lightning fast:

AND, you can preview some files in a Preview Pane within the program. So far, this is the pass/fail list on "previewing" (results may also depend on the "viewers" I have enabled, so your mileage may vary...) in my testing:

PDF - Pass
XLS - Fail
DOC - Sort of Pass. Can view text.
DWG - Fail
JPG - Pass
BMP - Pass
GIF - Pass
PNG - Pass
MP3 - Pass
FLV - Pass
MPG - Pass
AVI - Pass
WMV - Pass
ZIP - Fail

As you can see, I like the program...

LuckMan212:
to the OP:  I'm very curious what solution you ultimately settled on (if any).   I looked at the suggestions and at least in terms of the freeware offerings, it appears that 'Everything' with it's ETP server option was a good choice.  However, it does not index the contents of files, only their names.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version