ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Awesome article re: organization and notetaking

<< < (6/11) > >>

Paul Keith:
Well that's the thing. If you add too many keywords, you're never sure whether you added something to "to_listen" or to "music"

If you added both then you have to always add both for consistency.

It also depends on the interface. I haven't tried this app but for programs like Compendium, you don't really have an intuitive tag view that allows you to become extremely confident in replacing it as your file explorer. If a tagging system's not able to replace your file explorer though, you get to a point where you're more benefitted by the file explorer being in one place than segmenting your focus into two areas.

Yes, you're potentially making things more organized but the sacrifice of losing snappiness is often a much worse pay-off.

tomos:
Well that's the thing. If you add too many keywords, you're never sure whether you added something to "to_listen" or to "music"

If you added both then you have to always add both for consistency.
-Paul Keith (January 22, 2009, 02:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

which is also why article not so positive about tagging (just btw)

Paul Keith:
tomos, no offense but when I skimmed the article, everything about anything had a negative in that site.

tomos:
tomos, no offense but when I skimmed the article, everything about anything had a negative in that site.
-Paul Keith (January 22, 2009, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
except presumably Chandler !?!
(btw. of course no offence taken)

but has anyone actually read the full article LOL (me not fully yet..)

I read the page 40hz recommended ComplexityIsInTheEyeOfTheBeholder
The article talked big ideas but the reality of the Chandler description there sounded not so earth shattering, but I suspect one would have to really use Chandler for a while to "test" it properly (says he who hasnt even looked at it properly yet..)

I notice myself getting disillusioned with hierarchy - never worked for tasks/ToDo lists for me, but also get bogged down in complex project hierarchy.
That's to do with me more than the software - to be honest I didnt fully understand some stuff in the article but gather they saying to avoid "deep" hierarchys at any rate

Tagging I'm wary of.
I'm using more & more the option to show an item in different places (multiple-parents) in IQ/SQLNotes - very helpful, I guess you could say it's a cross between tagging &, and ... not tagging ? LOL

Paul Keith:
Haha. Good one!  ;D

I don't think hierarchies are that bad but often people use their hierarchial to do list as their tasks brain dump list too.

Maybe that's the problem tomos?

By brain dump I mean something like putting the todolist that came into your head and writing it down on the software you're using.

That's why applications like ThinkingRock has a collect section:

First important thing is to put all the todo lists in one place.

Process it (edit it, make the steps smaller, put it in the right section)

and then put it in a hierarchy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version