ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Complaints about Direct Access Text Expander Taking Ideas from Others - Split Topic

<< < (6/9) > >>

bmms:
Paul, you are right. It is not about patent.

I wonder why so many ride on the patent thing because I never said the slightest about violating a patent.

Everybody can see that the program itself is not stolen. I would never claim that and it is not the case.

It is his version history that has too many congruences over the years to make us saying it is a "coincidence". 

@Josh: I fully agree with the Opera tabs example you brought up. It may be OK, if you take a idea and bring it onto a new level (which makes it a user benefit and this is competition in a positive way).

But it leaves a bad taste in the mouth if one never stops trying to imitate one feature after another, year by year. Especially if done uninspired without bringing anything new or unique. And it makes it utterly worse if it is copied with poor craftmenship.

tinjaw:
But it leaves a bad taste in the mouth if one never stops trying to imitate one feature after another, year by year. Especially if done uninspired without bringing anything new or unique. And it makes it utterly worse if it is copied with poor craftmenship.
-BartelsMedia (February 02, 2009, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sound like Microsoft's product strategy.  :P

Sorry, It is my duty as the official DC Smart@$$ to post cr@p like this instead of adding anything of value to a thread.

I'll be going now. Bye.  8)

wraith808:
@wraith808:

How can stealing be justified?   :huh:
-BartelsMedia (January 30, 2009, 01:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't say he was trying to justify anything- but that you were trying to justify your attacks.  When it comes down to it, unless a process is patented (which I think is stupid beyond reason- software patents stagnate the market), or he took your code and reverse engineered it to add to his product (which I don't think happened either), there was no theft involved.

leave me as a customer cold on PhraseExpress
--- End quote ---

I just wanted to make you aware that if you wear a fake Rolex and believe it is original, that it is not so original. If you continue to wear it with pride and don't care, well... no problem. In this particular case, we do not share the same opinion about the value of originality and authenticity.
-BartelsMedia (January 30, 2009, 01:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

That analogy is so wrong as to make me shake my head.  Trying to apply material concepts to ideas is what makes laws surrounding software and media so convoluted and wrong minded.  If he's copying you, make your case based on price and promotion- not based on attacks.  If he is truly copying you, you get what kind of lag time while he tries to replicate what you have done and make a release?  Without attacks on a third party forum, you had come close to convincing a person that had been using DirectAccess for quite a while (me).  How did this happen?  I became aware of PhraseExpress on Bits and on this Board (in a positive manner).  I also saw other reviews in places.  Just those things began to convince me- the attacks were unnecessary. 

It is those attacks that turn me off from the product in all truth...

bmms:
there was no theft involved.
--- End quote ---

If you would please watch the video you will find that his action include copying text 1:1 which I consider theft.

I send him a note about it at that time. He does not worry and just continued. No wonder, he actually advertises such sort of "idea finding": http://web.archive.org/web/20070128092405/http://blog.nagarsoft.com/2006/10/31/keep-an-eye-on-the-competition-with-updatepatrol/

The only difference is that he is at least so "clever" now to slightly adjust and rearrange the text he takes from other websites (as demonstrated in above screenshots and in the video).

but that you were trying to justify your attacks.
--- End quote ---

Of course, what else would you expect?

You may understand that I defend my accusations. This is known as a discussion.

Wraith, I don't know what it takes to explain to you that I do not want you as a PhraseExpress user if you do not like to use it for whatever reason. I kindly ask to read my above postings again.

wraith808:
I respectfully agree to disagree and withdraw from the conversation, as it seems a lot like beating a dead horse on a mouse wheel. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version