topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone Else "Lose" LBC After Monitor Powers Down?  (Read 5593 times)

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Anyone Else "Lose" LBC After Monitor Powers Down?
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I just came back to my computer after a late dinner, and noticed a weird problem with LBC. It is there (I get the "pop" sound when I move the mouse to that side of the screen), but I can't see it / access it. I have it set to AutoHide, but usually that seems to work fine. This has happened before, but I just figured out, tonight, what the common factor was. Every time, it is when my monitor has powered down then powered back up - LBC seems to get 'lost' in this process somehow.

I suspect it is my video driver, or something similar, causing this, but wonder if anyone else has noticed behaviour like this, or figured out a fix, short of rebooting. I'm running a Dell Dimension 4700 with XP Pro, SP2 (got a weird problem keeping me from installing SP3 or any of the NET framework updates - something I really need to deal with one of these days), and use a flat panel monitor with a RADEON X300.

Edited to Add: Just posted this, shut Firefox down so I could reboot - and LBC reappeared at the side of the screen, just that thin little line that tells me it's there. I've really got to sort my system out enough that I can wipe the HDD and start over - without installing anything I don't need. I get the feeling half my problems are too many programs on here... ;D (I've got roughly 200 installed. And 1800 fonts. Yes, I know. I'm lucky the thing's running at all.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:52 PM by raybeere »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone Else "Lose" LBC After Monitor Powers Down?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:56 PM »
i don't think it's anything messed up about your system -- it sounds like whats happenin is that LBC is losing its "ontop" status and thus showing up "under" firefox.

what version of LBC do you have?

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:38 PM »
I'm using v. 1.85.01 - as far as I know, the latest. Sorry I didn't make myself clear: I do sometimes need to minimise another window, but I minimised Firefox, had the Desktop in sight, and still no sign of LBC. It was only after I closed FF that it reappeared, but FF was minimised before that.

I can't be sure it is my system, of course, but since I have other weird glitches (for example, SP3 for XP won't install - whenever I try, it just hangs in the middle of the process and gobbles 100% of the CPU cycles for as many hours as I let it run - same thing for the NET framework updates) it isn't hard to imagine. This install of Windows has been on here since early 2005, so it is pretty messed up by now. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and reinstall, but I have things I'd like to get done first, if my system lets me. ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:56 AM »
ah ok.. that is strange! well, keep me updated.

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Well, LBC and Firefox (v 3.0.5) don't play very nicely together. LBC is set to stay on top, autohidden, and with everything else I've run so far, the thin line is visible to the left of the screen and I can access it. With Firefox maximized, I can't - some of the time - but, usually, all I need to do is minimise it. Then I can get at LBC from the Desktop or whatever other program happens to be on top. I haven't noticed any other programs "blocking" the On Top feature so far. Just a guess, but since it is an 'on and off' sort of glitch, I wonder if that part has to do with some sort of code in the web pages I visit, or something similar. I'll have to try to notice what pages initiate the problem, if there is any correlation there.

The other part, the one I posted about, has happened several times - always after the screen has powered off and been brought "back to life". Then, I can't find LBC at all, no matter what windows I minimise, and moving the mouse to the left side of the screen won't make it appear. Since it seems to correlate with the screen power / display in some way, I suspect that is just my system being ornery. I was mostly hoping someone else had noticed a problem on their own system and figured out a workaround. ;D Since it is a desktop and not running on battery power, I suppose I could just change the power saving settings to keep the screen from shutting down - I'm holding off on that so I can observe and troubleshoot at the moment. But if anyone does know what's happening and has an idea for a fix, that would be cool.

Just in case any of those minutiae gives you a clue to the issues I gather you're having with the On Top feature. :) (Which usually seems to work fine for me, btw.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:34 PM »
for what it's worth ive been usign FF3 with LBC docked and hiding on the right and there doesnt seem to be any problem.