topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Internet Explorer Settings On USB Device?  (Read 4242 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Internet Explorer Settings On USB Device?
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Hi all.

I have the unfortunate task of administering the Sharepoint site where I work, and thus am forced to use Internet Explorer as Sharepoint is not fully functional in browsers that do not support ActiveX. I would like my IE favorites and passwords to be carried on a USB storage device. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I can't tote the entire browser around me, because that would be illegal. I've tried portable Maxthon, but it does not portablise saved passwords (they remain saved in the local browser, which is not acceptable).

If anyone has any suggestions I'd very much appreciate a reply.

Thanks, Ehtyar.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Internet Explorer Settings On USB Device?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Try the IE based portable version of Sleipnir. It uses Roboform2Go to store passwords (need to install that extra option) so it would allow you to take them with you and not leave them behind. It also has its own favorites stored in its own database file within its own folder too.

Both the portable version and the roboform plugin are listed on their downloads page.

(note: gecko plugin does not work with the portable version as expected, and if installed will make Sleipnir no longer portable)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 07:39 PM »
TrayURL

Description

A "portable" bookmark program.  It is small, fast, and simple.  The program supports categories.  Have all your favorite bookmarks right at your fingertips in the system tray.  Works with most browsers and with your flash drive.

Version 2.0 adds support for  web site logins and passwords with a pasting utility.  Also several import and export utilities have been added.

Features

• 100% "Portable".  Does not depend on any system files (ie. DLLs, OCXs, etc) nor does it reply on the system registry.  Everything is in the program directory.
  • Compatible with Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT/2K/XP/Vista.
  • Runs with most browsers and your USB flash drive.
  • Runs from the system tray for convenient access.
  • Support for web site logins and passwords with handy "Paster" utility.
  • Import and export utilities.
  • Multi-user support with multiple configuration files.
  • Up to 50 categories.
  • Up to 80 bookmarks per category.
  • AutoIt source code included.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:21 PM »
As I stated in the IRC channel (posting here for the benefit of all) there is a good possibility that all you need is Roboform2Go and not a full browser, since according the the manual, it can store passwords, bookmarks, and notes.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:28 PM »
@PhilB66:

Does that support password protecting the application against unauthorized use? And does it store data encrypted?

I would hope for security reasons that the answer to both would be "yes". Storing the data in plain text wouldn't be very safe (or smart) with passwords.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 05:56 AM »
@app103

I can't tell yet... TrayURL is on my "try it out" list (was recommended over at the portable freeware collection forum). The helpfile mentions key encoding though. Will post my findings later...