topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I am looking for easy to set up, small memory print ,free smtp server  (Read 7822 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi

I am looking for an easy to setup, simple, small footrint smtp server for daily emails. I do not need mass emailing or other more complicated setups.

Yes I have tried this

http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

and please no googling and pasting here. I am as usual looking for an app that is used and tested by DC members. I just do not have alot of time of trying and testing at this point.

thanks

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I used PostcastServer Free Edition right up until my ISP started blocking port 25.

Runs on Win2k, XP, Vista, Server 2003/2008.

Easy to set up, but it's hardly svelte at approximately 11Mb when running.
That being said, it does work quite well. Very good helpfile too!

Homepage: http://www.postcastserver.com/

Free Version Download: http://www.postcasts...oad/release.aspx?p=3

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:18 PM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Don't know if they are easy, but I know about the following (free) mail servers:
- Afterlogic's XMail (available for both Linux and Windows) (3Mb).
- SymPa (Windows) (1Mb)

This one I do know:
- vpop3 (Windows) Small and very able server (600Kb)(45 USD)
   It uses a mailbox from your ISP and hooks up an n amount of virtual virtual mailboxes to that one.
   Works like a charm with the default settings, good documentation and a boatload of extra functionality at your fingertips.
   At the time I was using it (on a 128Mb RAM Win2000 server) it had a small footprint.  Well worth the money.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been using the IIS POP3/SMTP combo included with Windows Server 2003 for years here in my home office with zero issues. I even virtualized it about 6 months ago.

however depending on your intended usage and configuration, you could run into major (reliability)issues with mail being refused/blocked by spam filters if you're on a residential connection (Even business connections can be a bear to get setup these days).

Can you give a bit more detail about what you are planning to do, and what was wrong/missing/bad about the options you've tried?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stoic Joker, do you think getting one of those free dynamic dns adresses would resollve email filters-rejection issues?

I tried the windows internal one but could not get it working. I am under 64bit xp/

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No. Spam filter black lists don't block domain names, they block IPs. One of the more common ones (i forget which) specifically blocks all of the dynamic IP ranges used by (most) ISPs. Dynamic DNS may (sort of) get you past the MX record requirement (reverse DNS and other filter checks look for it) when validating the sending server but future reliability will be next to nonexistant with that type of setup.