topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: COMPLIMENT: Liquid Story Binder XE - Black Obelisk Software  (Read 14941 times)

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I just wanted to point out, for anyone who is interested in writing, the best software on the market. LSB (Liquid Story Binder XE) is flexible enough to be useful no matter what process you use for writing, powerful, includes most if not all the tools you'll need as a writer, and works well. On the rare occasions when something doesn't work, the owner / developer sorts it out quickly as soon as a user reports it. The tech support / bug fix response time is more than just excellent - it is actually better than anything I ever imagined from any company.

Yes, my post probably sounds like an ad. I just don't know how to do LSB justice any other way. There are other software companies I'm happy with, and many more I'm at least not actively hostile towards. But of them all, LSB stands out as the most amazing company ever. If I'd had any idea how great the service was, I'd have expected to pay at least ten times what I did. I have pretty high standards: I was a WordPerfect user back when WP was its own company, and offered unlimited technical support. If any of you remember that, I doubt you've ever had an experience as good since WP was bought out and the policies changed. Well, LSB has support better than that standard, something I never even imagined was possible until I experienced it. (Yes, it's based on a Yahoo Group, which is no doubt cheaper, but all I care about - all any user really needs to care about - are the results. Which are fantastic.)

Sure, if you're only writing something short, there are simpler tools that may be enough for you, but if you want to tackle a novel, and you're using anything else, you're doing yourself a disservice.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: COMPLIMENT: Liquid Story Binder XE - Black Obelisk Software
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:42 PM »
I too use Liquid Story Binder XE (in conjunction with another writing application) and, like you, I am amazed at the support offered by the company - and their constant upgrades and improvements. Too bad Black Obelisk didn't buy WordPerfect. After version 6.1 (the love of my life) it's been all downhill for them and the support is nil.

maohbao

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • Typing Assistant team
    • View Profile
    • Typing Assistant
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Hi, everyone. Why not try the 3rd choice? I strongly recommend our product Typing Assistant. You will not be disappointed about it.
http://www.sumitsoft.com
Typing Assistant team <br/>

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Why post about your product in a compliment to another developer instead of making your own thread in Announce Your Software/Product.  Bad form, IMO.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:15 PM »
Hi, everyone. Why not try the 3rd choice? I strongly recommend our product Typing Assistant. You will not be disappointed about it.

And how on earth is Typing Assistant an alternative to LSB (which I agree is an excellent and well supported product)?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:17 PM »
The tech support / bug fix response time is more than just excellent - it is actually better than anything I ever imagined from any company.

- Yes, the support and the update speed is fantastic. But for a slow learner like me LSB is actually updated TOO OFTEN!!! I can simply not cope with such speed. Well before I have learned how to use it, it is updated with even more features. I'll have to credit the author that he has become much more aware over time that a good help section is important, but still I would like him to hire a pedagogue to redo the GUI - LSB can do a lot of things, but I am having serious troubles understanding how!

The latest update gives you this welcome screen:

Liquid Story Binder XE by Black Obelisk Software
Welcome to Liquid Story Binder XE
Software for writers, authors, poets, and novelists
http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com
contact(at)blackobelisksoftware.com

Liquid Story Binder XE gives you the tools and freedom to write.

Please try our example workspaces to view Liquid Story Binder XE in action.  From the main menu, choose ‘Workspaces’.

To learn how to create your own Liquid Story Binder XE book, see our help documentation.  Choose ‘Help...’ from the main ‘About’ menu.

Books
Any folder on your computer that contains your work.  Create a book that covers an entire series of novels, or a book just for magazine articles.

Manuscript
Multiple Chapters combined into a single document.

Planners
A flexible table of contents that combines notes and chapter titles.

Listings
Listings organize files in a collapsible tree.

Associations
A simple list of files.  Like-named files access the same association.

Chapters
A rich text editor where you write your novel.

Notes
Quick reference notes.

Outlines
A collapsible tree of ideas.  A wonderful place to brainstorm.

Checklists
A list of titles and captions with checkmarks.

Builders
Multiple rich text documents sorted into a single file with titles, descriptions and color indexing.

Timelines
Plot multiple characters across the length of your story using colored timelines and cards.

Storyboards
Text and Images combined

Journals
Create a writing journal, or even fictional journals for each one of your characters.

Sequences
A list of horizontal columns with titles and descriptions.

Dossiers
People, places and things.  Adjectives with descriptions and a portrait.

Images
Reference pictures, the photos that inspire writing, images that create a comfortable writing workspace.

Songs
The music that inspires writing.  MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV file types.

Galleries
Grouped Images viewed by a series thumbnails.  Position thumbnails to highlight importance or effect.

Playlists
Grouped Songs for quick and easy listening.

Recording
Sound recording using a microphone.  Create audio notes, or, for flow and tempo, listen to yourself reading.

Shortcuts
Any external program or file useful to your work.  Quickly access your favorite software.

Workspaces
A way to save window positions and files.

By the way;
the newest feature is a typewriter with no backspace or delete, etcetera.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:51 PM by Curt »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:17 AM »
I have to chime in here with praise for the developers of LSB. I downloaded and installed LSB XE back in July 2008 using the free license at Give Away of the Day. However after starting it up for the first time I realized that this was not a tool I needed, at least at that time. Main reasons were the interface, which as Curt posted above is not at all easy to look at, let alone pick it up intuitively. Secondly, it was immediately apparent that LSB XE was designed for writing novels or other very long and involved pieces. It has tools for creating and developing all aspects of each character, plot development, determining and describing locations, etc. Since I wasn't writing anything of that complexity LSB would not be a help to me then. So I just closed it and pretty much forgot all about it.

Then earlier this week I decided to start a writing project that could very well be done with the help of LSB, so I fired it up. First thing I noticed after checking the web site is that I had version 2.91 installed and the latest version released is 4.03! Way behind, but since this was a GAOTD freebie there are no upgrades/updates or support. Yet I noticed while browsing their forum that a few users had asked about the upgrade path for GAOTD license holders and lo and behold he said that he gave away full, lifetime licenses at GAOTD! Had to be too good to be true.

So I downloaded the latest version and installed it over my version. Uh-oh... registration key was not automatically transferred to this version and entering it manually resulted in "Registration Failed" dialogs. So I wrote to their support address and asked about the forum posts. In a little over 12 hours I received a reply that they had changed their registration keys and he  - - - gave me a new one. Lifetime. For a GAOTD free download!?!

That, folks, is simply amazing. Customer service above and beyond. I don't think I have ever been as surprised over a software developer's actions!

Black Obelisk Software is definitely at the top of my list of user-friendly, caring, more than fair developers. Of all time!

Thanks!

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 01:48 AM »
- yes, that has been my experience, too. Only, I paid the Bits du Jour price. And tomorrow, Tuesday, LSB will be on Bits du Jour and Iconico Daily Deals again!

Deal Price: $22.98
List Price: $45.95
You Save: 50%
Tuesday 30 June, 2009
http://daily-deals.i...liquid-story-binder/
 :up:

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 07:37 AM »
@Curt: thanks for the heads-up.
I tried it, and it crashes when I start typing. (windows server 2008 64bit  may be the problem). Anyone having this problem?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 10:53 AM »
If you have any problem, report it on the LSB forum. Usually answered and tackled pretty quickly.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:57 AM »
... I paid the Bits du Jour price. And tomorrow, Tuesday, LSB will be on Bits du Jour and Iconico Daily Deals again!

Deal Price: $22.98
List Price: $45.95
http://daily-deals.i...liquid-story-binder/

and again Tuesday 20 July, 2010, and this time even cheaper:

>>Deal Price: $15.62 List Price: $45.95 - You Save: 66%<<

liquid.gif

http://daily-deals.i...tory-binder/src=wek/

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 12:11 AM »
Ah!  I'm really getting quite arrogant with starting threads lately.  I totally didn't notice that the exact same compliment thread already existed.  Sorry.  I'm really bad with that, I know.