ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Dialog Extender

PowerDesk Pro's Dialog Helper

(1/6) > >>

longrun:
I just wanted to alert members to the Dialog Helper that's included with PowerDesk Pro (now from Vcom/Avanquest; formerly OnTrack; formerly Mijenix). To be honest, I don't normally use it, but I consider PowerDesk Pro (a Windows Explorer replacement) ABSOLUTELY indispensable and therefore consider Dialog Helper free. Also, a version of PowerDesk is included with Vcom/Avanquest's Fix-It Utilities 6 and SystemSuite, both useful programs (however, I'm not certain Dialog Helper is included with these versions of PowerDesk; check with Vcom).

At any rate, DH adds a few buttons to the title bar. It consists of a Folder Tracker, File Tracker, and File Viewer; one or all can be installed.   I believe it doesn't meet many of mouser's criteria, but it does offer an unobtrusive interface, recent files and folders, apps to ignore, and more. It might just meet your needs, and if you can use PowerDesk or one of the other utilities, provide a great value.

mouser:
good point - i'll add that to the review; i happen to be a big fan of powerdesk actually.

superboyac:
Hi, I was a very longtime user of Powerdesk since about 1996.  However, last year I discovered a program called Directory Opus which absolutely blows Powerdesk out of the running completely.  Anyone who has used Powerdesk must check out Directory Opus, it can do just about everything Powerdesk does, except maybe for some of those toolbars and maybe a couple of other features (but even those might be in DOpus somewhere).  As a file manager, nothing beats Directory Opus as far as power and customizing.  I haven't used Powerdesk ever since.

mouser:
i agree superboyac, i'm also a directory opus fan.  for people who like powerdesk, directory opus has a similar feel but is arguably much more powerful (though the price is arguably way too high).

superboyac:
Yeah, it is expensive, around $65, and they make you pay for major upgrades.  That's why I hesitated on buying it for a long time, but I won a Christmas raffle and decided I couldn't live without it anymore.  I hate it when they make you pay for upgrades, but business is business and if they can get away with it, then who's to stop them?  But, the program really is far and away the most powerful file manager available.  It has even pried me away from my beloved Total Commander, which I love for it's speed and power.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version