Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 24, 2014, 08:30:14 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Using CLSIDs in Launch Bar Commander  (Read 3331 times)
raybeere
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »

I wanted to set LBC up to open a few of the "special objects"; Control Panel (all my apps, not just the ones in the menu), Recycle Bin, My Computer, etc. So I had the idea of using the CLSIDs, as you can when creating a folder which you name, add a dot, then put in the CLSID in brackets. So I've tried adding the CLSID as a command, a folder, etc. and nothing works. So far, the best option I've found is to set up a folder somewhere else (I have a "hidden" spot I park links in anyway, for purposes just like this), create a shortcut to it, and add the shortcut to LBC as a command. This works fine, as far as it goes; it opens a special Explorer window with all the icons (I assume Recycle Bin will just open the Recycle Bin, but I haven't tried that out yet).

I was hoping to be able to set those objects up as a menu; obviously, I can do this manually by creating a menu and adding each object. The trouble is, then if my system changes (some program installs a new app in Control Panel or whatever) I'll have to add it manually. Yes, I can live with this: I'm not asking for the feature to be added if it doesn't exist. I suspect it would be far too much work for too little result. I am just tormented by the idea I'm just missing some simple trick of syntax that would make this work. smiley So if anyone has worked out a way to use CLSIDs with LBC, please share how you do it. If not, I can live with a manual menu. I just hate wondering if I'm just missing what I want to do by leaving out a semi-colon or something.  cheesy
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »

correct my if i'm misunderstading, but can you do this:
create a folder somewhere
make windows shortcuts in that folder that point to all the control panel special objects
make a node in LBC that shows the contents of this folder
raybeere
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »

create a folder somewhere
make windows shortcuts in that folder that point to all the control panel special objects
make a node in LBC that shows the contents of this folder

Yes, I can do that, but since it requires me to add shortcuts manually if any apps are added to the control panel, I was just wondering if I'm missing some obvious bit of syntax that would let me use the CLSID in LBC directly. As I say, it isn't a huge issue if I can't: I just hate to think it might be possible if I only tweaked the syntax I tried slightly.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »

i havent figured out how to do CLSID directories directly though i'd like to.
raybeere
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »

Thanks. At least I know I'm not missing anything obvious. Yes, it would be nice, I certainly wouldn't mind if you do get it figured out, but it isn't a huge issue. It was just wondering if the program required some slight little tweak (I had an app once that would only run if you added the switches /foo /bar to the command line) to make it work that was driving me crazy. Grin
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »

A few of them have GUIDs you can use to open them. You can find a basic list here, though only a few are directly supported by Windows directly.

Ehtyar.
raybeere
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 05:35:38 PM »

Thanks, I bookmarked that. I'll have to play around a bit, just to see what I can do.
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »

Here's another one to run Internet Explorer ::{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}  cheesy

BTW, you could use "shell" command to open special folders. For example, Run shell:DriveFolder --> Opens the "My Computer" folder. Here is a list of "shell" commands:

• shell:Common Administrative Tools
  • shell:Administrative Tools
  • shell:SystemX86
  • shell:My Pictures
  • shell:Profile
  • shell:CommonProgramFiles
  • shell:ProgramFiles
  • shell:System
  • shell:Windows
  • shell:History
  • shell:Cookies
  • shell:Local AppData
  • shell:AppData
  • shell:Common Documents
  • shell:Common Templates
  • shell:Common AppData
  • shell:Common Favorites
  • shell:Common Desktop
  • shell:Common Menu
  • shell:Common Programs
  • shell:Common Startup
  • shell:Templates
  • shell:PrintHood
  • shell:NetHood
  • shell:Favorites
  • shell:Personal (My Documents)
  • shell:SendTo
  • shell:Recent
  • shell:Menu
  • shell:Programs
  • shell:Startup
  • shell:Desktop
  • shell:Fonts
  • shell:ConnectionsFolder
  • shell:RecycleBinFolder
  • shell:PrintersFolder
  • shell:ControlPanelFolder
  • shell:InternetFolder
  • shell:DriveFolder (My Computer)
  • shell:NetworkFolder
  • shell:DesktopFolder
raybeere
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »

Hey, thanks! I was trying to figure out how to run the Printers folder. (I feel pretty stupid for not thinking of the shell command, though. I used to know about that, but I haven't used it in so long...)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:40:54 PM by raybeere » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.033s | Server load: 0.01 ]