ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

7.7.7.0 Browser Hijack Virus

<< < (3/6) > >>

Edvard:
I have also seen a handful of reports that it interferes with anti-virus and anti-malware programs via the TDSSserv trojan.
See here: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=319948&messageID=2926532&tag=forums06;posts#2926532

@f0dder: That's beyond what I can tell you. I'd be all for writing the author(s) of Foxit and ask the question just for your own peace of mind.

f0dder:
That said, I don't know how much functionality Foxit Reader exposes, so it could be that it's vulnerable, and it might as well be that it isn't.
-f0dder (January 15, 2009, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
But why take a chance? Can you see any reason NOT to turn it off?-app103 (January 15, 2009, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Indeed - I don't have a use for JS in PDFs, so I might as well do that... except JS can't be turned off in foxit :). Mailing them might be a good idea.

I don't use in-browser PDF anyway, so the exploit would have to be able to download+launch an external file - and it would have to be able to do that in spite of noscript+adblockplus.

Edvard:
Also, read the responses on the DSLReports link: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21704795-Browser-Redirect-to-7770-interesting~start=40

Some folks have tracked down individual sites that are either infected and spreading this, or are the culprits themselves.
Also finding out exactly how the infection happens. Interesting read.

app103:
Indeed - I don't have a use for JS in PDFs, so I might as well do that... except JS can't be turned off in foxit :). Mailing them might be a good idea.

I don't use in-browser PDF anyway, so the exploit would have to be able to download+launch an external file - and it would have to be able to do that in spite of noscript+adblockplus.
-f0dder (January 15, 2009, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

What do you mean it can't be turned off? I told you how:

Foxit Reader:

Go to Edit>Preferences>Javascript

uncheck the box
-app103 (January 14, 2009, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

7.7.7.0 Browser Hijack Virus

f0dder:
It's not present in the 2.2 version I use - perhaps it's time to upgrade :-[

Navigation