topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Jan 13, 2009 - Important Windows Update Patch - Apply ASAP  (Read 4751 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Jan 13, 2009 - Important Windows Update Patch - Apply ASAP
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:52 PM »
This is an update people should apply right away -- I've applied it without incident.

This security update resolves two privately reported vulnerabilities and one publicly disclosed vulnerability in Microsoft Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol. The vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution on affected systems. An attacker who successfully exploited these vulnerabilities could install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. Firewall best practices and standard default firewall configurations can help protect networks from attacks that originate outside the enterprise perimeter. Best practices recommend that systems that are connected to the Internet have a minimal number of ports exposed.

This security update is rated Critical for all supported editions of Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003, and Moderate for all supported editions of Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008.

from http://www.ghacks.net/ (actually dc member ewmoa told me about this yesterday but i thought someone else would have posted about it by now!)

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: Jan 13, 2009 - Important Windows Update Patch - Apply ASAP
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50 PM »
WOW all this time and still windows XP isn't fully secured? it's crap like this that makes me wanna switch to linux...unfortunately i can't live without my games. Anyway i will download the update right away, thanks mouser!
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:11 PM »
I have applied it on a few machines (virtual included) without problems too -- thanks mouser for braving it first ;)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25 AM »
Keep in mind that if you're not being retarded about your internet security (meaning: keep your LAN NAT'ed, do not use DMZ, and keep Windows Firewall enabled) you shouldn't ever be hit by this (and similar) problems.

Doesn't mean it's not a good idea to patch, though.
- carpe noctem

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25 AM »
Thanks mouser.

And now if I could just get a little excited about the Malicious Software Removal Tool that finds its way onto my computer each month via MS Update....  :-\

It scans for but a small fraction of malware that dedicated Anti-Spyware applications do and it doesn't tell you a darn thing about what it is finding - or not.

Does anyone know who or what actually develops this tool?

Jim