topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Folder Shortcuts" in Windows  (Read 6435 times)

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
"Folder Shortcuts" in Windows
« on: January 10, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I've been playing around with AutoHotKey, with a little success, but my next "great" idea was to automate the process of creating Folder Shortcuts. It seems to be a pretty undocumented feature (I'm not talking about shortcuts to folders; I'm talking about the Folder Shortcuts that will wipe out the target folder's files if you delete them without dismantling them first). Now, I know enough to copy a folder just to test things out on, so if anything goes wrong, I'll only lose my copies. But I have noticed, in the past, there are some features it is just safer not to play with. Does anyone know enough about Folder Shortcuts to say if they are safe to automate? (The only source I have on them is not entirely accurate - for example, it says you can change the icon afterwards, when, in fact, on every one I've created, the only way to 'set' the icon that has worked has been to specify it in the "Target" link before the Folder Shortcut was created. So I'd rather be cautious than sorry.)

thefritz_j

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Folder Shortcuts" in Windows
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Are you talking about HardLinks?

If so, ...  I use a utility by Hermann Schinagl called "HardLink ShellExt".  He has some reference material that installs with his app, maybe there's enough info for you to automate it. 

(googled it)...

http://schinagl.priv...ardlinkshellext.html

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15 PM »
No, actually, I didn't even know about HardLinks until I just read your message. Thanks! They look useful. :)

No; I know how I could automate the shortcuts I'm talking about (explain in a moment): I was just wondering, since it is a powerful feature, if it was one of those things that won't "take well" to automation. (I've had things that work fine manually, but when you speed the process up by using a macro, something seems to go wrong. Considering the shortcuts I'm talking about have the potential to wipe out an entire folder...)

You create the Folder Shortcuts I'm talking about by creating a shortcut to the folder you want to link to, named Target.lnk, then you have to create a Desktop.ini file with special settings; then you drop Target.lnk and Desktop.ini in another folder, with the name you want to give the link. You set both of those file's attributes to Hidden and System, then close the folder, and when you open it again, it will be the equivalent of the target folder. AFAIK, you have to create these in your Desktop folder, although I believe you can move them. I haven't tried. That was one of the things I was going to play around with... Sorry if I've got the wrong name; the only one I've ever come across for them is Folder Shortcuts.

thefritz_j

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:15 PM »
In my opinion, HardLinks are better because they are way lower level, closer to the read/write processing of the disc.  (linux has a similar feature, can't remember the name)

What you are describing sounds really high level at the operating system (GUI level?) especially if you're dealing with INI files.  In my experience over the years (starting in win 95!) you might want to steer clear folder level INIs.  Just my two cents.

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Thanks, that's what I wondered about. If I've learned nothing else over the years, I've learned to be cautious.  :D