topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What is the new desktop?  (Read 6575 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What is the new desktop?
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:25 AM »
What is the new desktop?

spheares4501.jpg

Is it the:
Cloud?
Smart]phone?
Browser?
Netbook?
Blackberry?
HDTV?
Car?

Whatever it is, the economy has shut down my future upgrade plans until further notice. That's okay. Linux runs my 3-year old computer as fast as I like, along with any of these other devices. Still, the "desktop" has definitely expanded beyond my mid-tower case and 24-inch monitor. If you also include Google Android and the Linux-based Moblin platforms, even the concept of desktop operating systems has morphed into an always-on computer existence. As a result, it seems that so many of the old arguments are losing their relevance.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:31 AM by zridling »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is the new desktop?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:13 AM »
The new desktop will be those smartphones once you can use them again to call people, like the term "phone" implies.

In fact I am not so sure, maybe it'll be smart dust lingering in the air wherever people are. This dust could be use to communicate, to look up things, to display information (dust density increases locally)... Yes I have been inspired by Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age (which I recommend).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18 AM »
The new desktop will come about through clever harnessing of dihydrogen monoxide.
Your government is deep into secret development as I write.
See this topic.

:o

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:01 PM »
If our economy and energy problems continue, I think that this might well be the new desktop for many people.

joansRollTopDesk.gif

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:48 PM »
A nice Clairefontaine or Levenger notepad and a good, quality fountain pen!

Jim

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Information organized on a good (enough for your liking or requirements) laptop. I can never be organized using a device that fits in one hand, nor on a 24" monitor with a tower. Happy medium will always work for me no matter what the new technology and latest gadget is.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:06 PM »
If our economy and energy problems continue, I think that this might well be the new desktop for many people.
 (see attachment in previous post)

perfect! oh, wait, is there a portable version? nevermind, i think gluing a few of the items down will be good enough.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:48 PM »
is there a portable version?

Try a few of these cstr.jpg.

No, no, no!  Not your legs, those on the desk.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:53 PM »

Jim

Or in my case (and on my budget ;D): a Pilot-G2 XFine gel pen; a high quality stiff-backed pad of ¼-inch graph paper; and a pack of 3X5 index cards.
 8)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:06 PM »

Jim

Or in my case (and on my budget ;D): a Pilot-G2 XFine gel pen; a high quality stiff-backed pad of ¼-inch graph paper; and a pack of 3X5 index cards.
 8)

Ah, you'd be surprised, 40hz. Paper is purchased only during extraordinary sales or on Ebay (Levenger actually has an Ebay ID and sells off stuff there cheaper than usual - often used but what do I care!), and the same goes for fountain pens. I either hit up Ebay for deals or I use Craig's List or the For Sale forum at the Fountain Pen Network.   :D

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Ah, you'd be surprised, 40hz. Paper is purchased only during extraordinary sales or on Ebay (Levenger actually has an Ebay ID and sells off stuff there cheaper than usual - often used but what do I care!), and the same goes for fountain pens. I either hit up Ebay for deals or I use Craig's List or the For Sale forum at the [url=http://http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/]

Thanks for the info J-Mac! Greatly appreciate it. I'm one of those people that has been on a lifelong quest to find the perfect writing instrument. Many times I've come very close. But my "perfect pen" is still waiting to be discovered.

I own two exquisite Waterman pens, along with some other nice but lesser offerings from Pelikan. Unfortunately, I don't use a fountain pen as often as I should. And now, sad to say, my penmanship has deteriorated horribly due to the lack of practice. Bloody keyboards!

People who grew up using ballpoints or felt tips seldom appreciate the amount of skill needed to use a fountain pen correctly. Because they're pressure sensitive, you can vary the ink flow, thereby changing the visual weight of your handwriting on the fly. Once mastered, a fountain pen allows you to pack an incredible amount of 'expression' into your handwriting. A well-penned letter by somebody who really knows how to use a fountain pen is almost a work of art.

You just can't get that from Twitter!

---
P.S. I actually do like the Pilot G2, although I prefer their Dr. Grip model rather than the lightweight plastic versions.