ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seagate's Barracuda 7200.11 drives failing at alrming rate?

<< < (8/11) > >>

Carol Haynes:
If you want to get to a DOS prompt format a system floppy and copy the flash stuff to the floppy and then restart your system with the floppy.

nosh:
There's no way to access the flash utility files directly in Windows, they don't show up on the CD. They get copied to a RAM drive after booting but there's no way to access them there either.

I don't have a floppy drive and I doubt if it would help even if I could get my hands on the batch file + flash stuff and run it manually. It's a little irresponsible on their part to have outdated instructions for something as critical as a flash utility.

Carol Haynes:
Trouble is most manufacturers work on the principle that the only thing worth working on is what brings in instant cash ...

Few companies seem to have a long term view on retaining customers as a priority.

a_lunatic:
Did you apply it successfully?
-nosh (January 19, 2009, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't had the time until now but looks like it doesn't work so now I got to wait & a new coaster.

f0dder:
If you want to get to a DOS prompt format a system floppy and copy the flash stuff to the floppy and then restart your system with the floppy.-Carol Haynes (January 19, 2009, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
How do you format a DOS boot floppy from NT and beyond? When I created my bootable USB pendrive, I had to do a lot of trickere involving installing Win98 in vmware and doing the format from there...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version