ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seagate's Barracuda 7200.11 drives failing at alrming rate?

<< < (7/11) > >>

techidave:
I almost ordered one of the 7200.11 hard drives last week.  I'm glad I didn't.

Lashiec:
I'm not sure there's much difference between "consumer" and "server" grade drives these days anyway, except pricetag.
-f0dder (January 13, 2009, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Most servers drives are based on consumer ones, just tuned for server tasks. And longer warranties, of course, perhaps that's why the pricetag.

This can't come in a worse moment for Seagate, with the 7200.12 drives just around the corner (including 2TB units) and the change of CEO. Couple that with the current economical crisis and all the competitors doing better than then, and I think you can say Seagate is going to face a tough year.

It's quite peculiar tough, that the 1 TB models started failing precisely now, after one year or more of being introduced in the market. The news about the 1.5 TB unit failures appeared just weeks after they started selling, and based on what nosh said, it's probably more of a really bad batch than a general problem with all 1 TB drives.

J-Mac:
I have two 7200.10's and one actually DID fail after only 8 months of use - replace free of charge by the builder of my box (Falcon Northwest). But I often see other disk errors in the Event log. I always run Hitachi's, WD's, and Seagate's disk diagnostics to see if it is truly the disk or a conflict within Windows causing the error event ID's. Believe it or not the WD and the Hitachi teasts are the most helpful. THe Seagate diagnostic program rarely runs - it has only completed any testing once. All other times the program freezes up and the process must be ended.

Jim

Edit: BTW, both are 500 GB SATA drives.

a_lunatic:
Firmware update available now. http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/19/seagate-offers-fix-free-data-recovery-for-disks-affected-by-fir/

nosh:
Thanks.

Did you apply it successfully? I had a "specific model not found" error - the firmware recognizes the drive model if I ask it to scan devices but crashes with this error while applying. Apparently, I'm not alone.

Also, their instructions are outdated, they ask you to run flash.bat manually from the DOS prompt - there's no way to get to the DOS prompt or access any specific file.

What a PITA this is turning out to be! I suppose I should be grateful the bad flash didn't brick my drive. :down:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version