ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seagate's Barracuda 7200.11 drives failing at alrming rate?

<< < (6/11) > >>

superboyac:
I met a math geek who rivaled my own math skills (honestly, she was better)...totally turned me on.  Didn't work out.  BBOD (I'll let you figure out what that stands for).

Daleus:
Interestingly, this came up last week in our office.

Not certain of the model number, but we had a pair of 1TBs and a pair of 1.5TBs.  They required an HD firmware upgrade.

Apparently, the firmware download is only available if you talk to one of their tech support wanks, and are able to give them a specific error code which (if I remember correctly) comes from their own specific diag proggie.

Don't run to your bosses with this info, because our departmental meetings are traditionally filled with info my brain rejects as irrelevant, but this might give you further directions to explore.

Ehtyar:
Should this turn out to be legitimate, I hope Seagate get their pants class-actioned right of their legs. Not only can I not find the firmware update itself, but you need to sign-up to Seagate's website to access any of their support services. Not to mention there is not a single reference to this problem whatsoever on Seagate's site, and when you search for firmware update you get discouragement heaped upon you, and *told* that it is unnecessary and/or not possible. Unacceptable Seagate.

Ehtyar.

zridling:
[superboyac]: Do the NS drives come with 5-year warranty?

superboyac:
[superboyac]: Do the NS drives come with 5-year warranty?
-zridling (January 15, 2009, 01:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well that's good to know.  Yes, Seagate has apparently left the 5-year warranty in tact for the enterprise drives.  But it's too late for me, I just bought (like 3 days ago) three WD 1 TB Caviar Black drives.  First time I've not used Seagate in almost 10 years.  Besides these enterprise seagate drives are $50 more than the WD's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version