ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seagate's Barracuda 7200.11 drives failing at alrming rate?

<< < (2/11) > >>

superboyac:
I agree, and I've relied on Seagate for years. Difference is, though, I always spend the extra for the NS drives, which are built to run 24/7 for at least a million hours. Haven't had a problem yet, but that doesn't mean this isn't bad news for Seagate. Failure cannot be tolerated in a HD!
-zridling (January 13, 2009, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do the NS drives come with 5-year warranty?

raybeere:
Now this is not good news..  remember to back up everything people..
-mouser (January 13, 2009, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank God I'm not using one; the stress would kill me. ;) Yes, I back up. I've also heard of a few folks who have had two drives fail within a week of each other. I know that's long odds, but any time I don't have two drives working, I panic. Optical media won't last long enough to rely on (I've had some discs fail in a month or less), flash drive prices are too high still to let me back up all my data that way, and online storage is not terribly reliable (I've seen a whitepaper on all the factors affecting data preservation in that type of setting, some of which include variables unknown even to the companies providing the storage) and costs too much, and a failing hard drive is one of my nightmares.

As for backing up, good advice, I agree, and one far too few folks take seriously. I suppose if your data doesn't mean much to you, you can afford to roll the dice. For anyone with irreplaceable work in digital form, making backups ought to be such a habit you don't even think about it - you just do it. At least, that's my opinion. Oh, I'll feel a little sympathy for someone who just lost all their irreplaceable files, especially in a case like this one, but when they say "I just didn't have time to back things up" I wonder just what they were doing for the past few months or years that wouldn't let them at least take ten minutes to set up and schedule a backup job. (I do mine more manually, just so I can be sure things go as they should.) It's a habit that's saved me more than once.

f0dder:
I was close to buying a couple of 500gig Seagate drives when one of the 400gig WDs in my fileserver died - good thing I did a bit of googling first, seems like a lot of people have problems with Seagate... not just self-bricking, but bad sectors as well.

So in the end I went for 2x640gig WD6401AALS (caviar black) drives. Iirc only "consume grade" (8hr/day), but still 5 years warranty... "server grade" (24/7) didn't stop that 400gig drive from dying, so whatever - I'm not sure there's much difference between "consumer" and "server" grade drives these days anyway, except pricetag. And warranty doesn't mean that much to me, except perhaps as an idea how much faith the manufacturers have in their product. Often you're going to get a refurbished drive if you use the warranty, and there's a pretty long turnaround time.

lanux128:
several years in parts retails business has taught me well enough to avoid Seagate. even though they had bought very good companies like Quantum and Maxtor, unfortunately they hadn't learned newer and superior techniques from the bought over companies.

xtabber:
Seagate replaced their CEO yesterday.  Wonder if it had anything to do with the reliability rumors. FWIW, I've had better luck with Seagate than WD or Hitachi over the years, but the warranty change from 5 to 3 yrs worries me because it indicates a new lack of confidence in the quality of the product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version