ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Switching to Linux for a week

<< < (5/8) > >>

zridling:
[urlwolf]: I still think trying linux for a week is bound to fail. You need long-term commitment for that to work out well. In a week you will not learn enough to see the advantages, and you sure as hell will see the downside.
--- End quote ---

I think that within a mere week, you're still sorting through the differences. It took me a good month to really begin to change habits from Windows to Linux. And the most difficult habit to break? I kept wanting to reboot after installations and updates. I couldn't believe that Linux didn't need that.

@Paul:
It's still Linux, whether it's within the Ubuntu family or every other distro. I don't consider Ubuntu "the pioneer of spreading Linux to the desktop," but that's just me. Canonical has done a fine job of marketing "Ubuntu," and to a lesser extent, Linux. I just don't recommend it as a diving board for jumping into Linux. There are friendlier distros out there that give you the same OS under the hood, and a smoother ride than Ashley experienced in these posts.

Paul Keith:
@Paul:
It's still Linux, whether it's within the Ubuntu family or every other distro. I don't consider Ubuntu "the pioneer of spreading Linux to the desktop," but that's just me. Canonical has done a fine job of marketing "Ubuntu," and to a lesser extent, Linux. I just don't recommend it as a diving board for jumping into Linux. There are friendlier distros out there that give you the same OS under the hood, and a smoother ride than Ashley experienced in these posts.
-zridling (January 15, 2009, 01:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah that's what I meant. Before Ubuntu, marketing on Linux was based around pushing Linux. After Ubuntu, marketing on Linux finally! was about casual user familiarity and lower barrier of entry.

The problem with saying that there are friendlier distros out there is that for anyone not knowing any better, they hear the majority of Linux community cry Ubuntu. You could even recommend Linux Mint and explain to them that it's a much user friendlier version of Ubuntu and most newbies will still go for Ubuntu because that's what most in the Linux community claim as the smoothest ride.

40hz:

The problem with saying that there are friendlier distros out there is that for anyone not knowing any better, they hear the majority of Linux community cry Ubuntu. You could even recommend Linux Mint and explain to them that it's a much user friendlier version of Ubuntu and most newbies will still go for Ubuntu because that's what most in the Linux community claim as the smoothest ride.
-Paul Keith (January 15, 2009, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Much like why so many people go for a certain other operating system? ;D

Paul Keith:
Hey, don't look at me. I'm not a Mac fan either.  :P

40hz:
Hey, don't look at me. I'm not a Mac fan either.  :P
-Paul Keith (January 15, 2009, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I wasn't thinking about OSX just then. I was thinking about the other other OS. ;D

----------------

BTW: I'm currently switched over to Windows 7 for a week. Please don't tell TUX!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version