ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Switching to Linux for a week

<< < (6/8) > >>

Paul Keith:
Oh sorry. From my lack of technical know how point of view, there's very little difference between BSD and Linux.  :P

40hz:
Oh sorry. From my lack of technical know how point of view, there's very little difference between BSD and Linux.  :P
-Paul Keith (January 16, 2009, 03:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Brill! ;D ;D ;D

mahesh2k:
I just don't recommend it as a diving board for jumping into Linux. There are friendlier distros out there that give you the same OS under the hood, and a smoother ride than Ashley experienced in these posts.
--- End quote ---
Which Distros are much friendlier than ubuntu?
Mepis?or Mandriva?

Paul Keith:
I think it depends on usage. Ubuntu is sometimes not the best for trying out Linux because it hides stuff rather than introduce stuff to Linux.

PCLinuxOS possibly is more friendlier due to it's ability to look like Windows. (Although it's a crap shoot between it and Mandriva)

Mint is better in that it's an improved Ubuntu.

Sidux is much closer to Debian than Ubuntu is so it's probably more convenient for things like portability since it sticks much closer to the Linux model.

Puppy saves it's settings on a pupsave file so it's much easier to load off something removable as it was designed for that. Just put QEMUPuppy on a removable drive and you have your desktop environment.

There are probably other Linuxes that are much easier not in a pre-configured way but in a "if you follow these advises, you understand more of how Linux works so you can do unorthodox things with it" like Gentoo and LinuxfromScratch.

mahesh2k:
Ubuntu is sometimes not the best for trying out Linux because it hides stuff rather than introduce stuff to Linux.
--- End quote ---
Yes. But for those switching from windows then there is no problem, it is user friendly & with less details like windows.

Mint is better in that it's an improved Ubuntu.
--- End quote ---
Yes. Agree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version