topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sandboxie license at 51% off - $14.14 (Jan 15 only)  (Read 15269 times)

Cadillakin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sandboxie license at 51% off - $14.14 (Jan 15 only)
« on: January 12, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Great software - well worth the price..

http://www.bitsdujou...ie-personal-license/

Cadillakin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sandboxie license at 51% off - $14.14 (Jan 15 only)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Also, all purchased licenses are good for ALL the computers you own. So, in my home, I have it on my two computers, my wifes and my youngest daughers, as well.

A single registration license:

* Is personal and is not transferable into computers or electronic media that you do not own;
    * But does permit you to use Sandboxie on any number of computers that you personally own;
    * Removes the nag screen that initially appears after you have used Sandboxie for more than 30 days;
    * Enables the Forced Programs and Forced Folders features;
    * Allows you to run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time (see message SBIE1303);
    * But does not entitle you to any guaranteed level of technical support.

zenrook

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Just subscribe to Giveaway of the Day RSS, everyonce in a while Sandboxie will be distributed for FREE! It was just out I think a week ago.

Cadillakin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Just subscribe to Giveaway of the Day RSS, everyonce in a while Sandboxie will be distributed for FREE! It was just out I think a week ago.

I don't think so... Returnil which has some similarity to Sandboxie was free on a recent Giveaway of the Day, but Sandboxie, no. Sandboxie has a free, limited version with a nag screen, but as far as the registered version being given away.. you'll have to prove that to me.

If you are indeed mistaken about Sandboxie being given away, perhaps you should edit or delete your post. It's not fair to the owner who is already agreeing to a great deal at 50% off... while at the same time, you are suggesting that half price is not really a good deal.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:22 PM by Cadillakin »

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Yeah, it doesn't look like "Sandboxie" has been on Giveawayoftheday... there is a search on GotD and "Sandboxie" doesn't return any results and all the results for "Returnil" was for their "Virtual System" software.

I think I'm going to pick it up myself... looks cool.

Here's a couple threads where people mention Sandboxie...
https://www.donation...x.php?topic=5372.175
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=5965.0
And an off site endorsement...
http://www.techsuppo...otection-utility.htm

Aw, looks like it's not compatible with Vista 64... darn it!
http://www.sandboxie...x.php?WindowsVista64
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:52 AM by Hirudin »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Live today, folks!

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:33 AM »
I bought one license of this small & efficient software which is excellent for casual evaluation of software, among other things.
.merle1.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sandboxie license at 53% off - $19.00 (Oct 20 only)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:59 AM »
It's on sale again on 20 Oct 2009

Sandboxie Personal License
Keep Your Applications In Safe, Secure Containers
Sandboxie creates safe space for unsafe activities, offering increased security, easy clean-up, and file management with ease. "
http://www.bitsdujour.com/previews/

Are there anyone here actively using this and find it useful, stable ?

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 02:22 AM »
It's on sale again on 20 Oct 2009

Sandboxie creates safe space for unsafe activities, offering increased security, easy clean-up, and file management with ease. "

Are there anyone here actively using this and find it useful, stable ?

Immensely useful and very stable. I only had a problem once with a given build that was quickly solved.
.merle1.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:38 AM »
I got these comments which were quite helpful explaining the nuances compare with programs like Returnil from http://www.bitsdujou...ie-personal-license/

"# Cyndi Queen Says:

How does Sandboxie differ from Power Shadow. With Power Shadow, if you put the computer into "shadow mode," you can go to dangerous websites or install questionable software to try out, and as soon as you reboot the computer, all traces are gone. The one bad thing is that if you want to know how a piece of software will affect the boot process or whether it will slow down the computer after you've rebooted, you can't tell with Power Shadow. Is that true as well of Sandboxie? Does Sandboxie offer advantages over Power Shadow?
#
Jan 15 2009 11:44am
Website Visitor Jay G. Says:

Cyndi, PowerShadow is like Faronics Deep Freeze or Returnil where the entire system drive is "virtualized" or sandboxed, meaning while they're on, all the changes to the system drive are virtualized and erased on reboot. Not only can't you install software that requires a reboot, updating a program typically requires rebooting the PC, having the sandboxer off, then running the update. Likewise, personal documents have to be saved to something other than the system drive/partition before a reboot, or they'll be lost forever.

With Sandboxie, only the programs that you run inside it are sandboxed, meaning that you can run the majority of your programs unsandboxed, and only run potentially vunerable programs (web browsers) or questionable programs inside the sandbox. So you can update Windows and your AV program running outside Sandboxie, make and save documents, but run your web browser within Sandboxie so that any potential malware that it is attacked by is stuck inside the sandbox.

Resetting in Sandboxie is different too, since to clear out a sandbox you usually just have to close all the programs running inside of it and then "delete contents." Everything inside the sandbox is erased, no reboot required.

Sandboxie also allows you to "recover" files that are sandboxed. So say you download a file in your sandboxed web browser, Sandboxie will give you the option of copying the file out of the sandbox.

Sandbox contents also stay there until manual erasure, even after a reboot. This can be a good thing, as you can test software over a period of time within the sandbox. However, since the erasure isn't automatic, if a piece of malware infects the sandbox, it stays in there until you remember to clear the sandbox, making protection a bit less "automatic" than hard drive virtualizers like Power Shadow.

Sandboxie doesn't support driver installs, so any program that installs a driver can't be installed withing Sandboxie, while they may be able to be installed with a hard drive virtualizer activated.

There is a freeware version of Sandboxie available on the publishers site if you want to try it out.
#
Jan 15 2009 12:20pm
Website Visitor Jay G. Says:

Some additional notes:

Since with Sandboxie you're going to be running a mix of sandboxed and non-sandboxed programs at once, Sandboxie adds
  • brackets to the titles of windows running sandboxed. For example, a sandboxed Firefox will show at the top of it's window the title:
  • Mozilla Firefox

Also, you have to explicitly run programs within Sandboxie in order for them to be sandboxed. To do this, you either start them from within Sandboxie Control, or right-click on the program and select "run sandboxed". Programs installed inside Sandboxie can only be run sandboxed. The personal license offered here allows you to force certain programs to always run sandboxed, even if you don't do the steps above and try to run it like normal.

Finally, you can create multiple sandboxes in Sandboxie and run different applications in each. For example, you can run your web browser in one, then install a program into its own sandbox. That way you can erase one sandbox without affecting the program in the other sandbox. The freeware version limits you to only using one sandbox at a time, but the personal license lets you use as multiple sandboxes at once."
http://www.bitsdujou...ie-personal-license/

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 02:46 AM »
Sometime ago, I use to use Stumbleupon and decided to stop for a couple of reasons

1. It was addictive
2. It was potentially unsafe - I was wondering if you could stumble upon a malware infected site.

So Sandboxie may actually remove reason 2.

But ha ha, that still leaves Reason 1 unresolved other than through discipline.

Just wondering, if I had IE or Firefox running in Sandboxie and then saved a few bookmarks to Firefox or a 3rd party program like PowerFavourites (either through a button on IE  or Firefox or a Rightclick context menu selection), would closing the Sandboxie make me lose the save bookmarks in say Powerfavourites (which is not Sandboxed) or Firefox favourites.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:25 AM »
No, favorites or changed data is not lost until you clear the sandboxie your were using.  And you can recover *any* file created during the sandboxie session.  You can't easily, however, recover registry keys, which can be sometimes useful.
.merle1.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 04:09 AM »
No, favorites or changed data is not lost until you clear the sandboxie your were using.  And you can recover *any* file created during the sandboxie session.  You can't easily, however, recover registry keys, which can be sometimes useful.

So am I correct to say that any updates to PowerFavourites (the NON sandboxed program) capturing a url say this current thread from Firefox (the Sandboxed program) will be lost when I clear the Sandboxie Firefox session ?

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 06:17 AM »
I am sure sure I 100% follow :
If the app you are using to capture (create) a favorite is launched within a sandbox and you don't extract it specifically, it will get lost when you clear the sandbox
If the App is non sandboxed (=run outside the sandbox, as a regular app), then it will stay.
.merle1.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Just a reminder; if you planning on getting Win 7 x64, Sandboxie is not compatible with 64 bit operating systems.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:07 AM »
The offer is on today.

"Tools & Utilities

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 08:09 AM »
It's one year later, Jan 15 2010, and I wish it was on sale today. I'd love to get it at the discount.  :(

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:06 AM »
You could always ask the developer directly , mentioning this one year anniversary, and it might just work...
.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 03:16 PM »
It's one year later, Jan 15 2010, and I wish it was on sale today. I'd love to get it at the discount.  :(

Be a sport and spring for it!!  :)

Especially now it just came out supporting 64 bit. The thing to do though is try the freebie just in case it doesn't like your HD controller.  Sometimes going from version to version the driver won't install.  I just save a copy of the last installer where everything worked in case a new version won't install or has a bug.  Entering the license info enables all the additional features. There's no different download to install.  You know the driver installed before you pay with that approach.

The first 64 bit build of the recent 64 bit generation would not install on my PC as I have a raid controller.  I posted details to the Sandboxie forum and the next build installed fine.  The author constantly works it. I don't feel bad about shelling out when the programmer actively supports it like that, esp. when it's under $50.

And, no I didn't get a free copy for plugging it.  I bought it back in 2007. :)