topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for Notes / Database Software  (Read 4587 times)

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Looking for Notes / Database Software
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I have a love / hate relationship with this category of software. I understand everyone has their own preferences; mine are more specific than most, I think. For a lot of my notes, I use something called DebriefNotes - one of the very few programs I've paid for and been happy I did. It is perfect for a lot of my needs. That said, I also have some notes I need to be able to filter, not just search. DebriefNotes won't permit the level of filtering I need, so I've checked out anything I could find. Most of them were nothing even close to what I want.

Finally, I found a program, AZZCardfile, that is almost what I need and want. Almost. But those two sticking points are driving me nuts. First, it saves all notes in a proprietary format. I hate that; I like open formats that are easily readable by half the stuff out there. Then, if you lose your license key, or whatever, you don't have to go crazy trying to figure out how to save the information you've collected. Yes, it will export to HTML and RTF - those formats are fine, but I don't want to have to remember to export each time I add information. Well, I could live with that if I have to, but the other point is the "biggie" for me.

In order to do what I want, I had to design my own system, of adding a line of coded "switches" to the end of each card's title, then I can search on any "switch" or set of them I choose. That way, I can filter out groups based on the criteria important to me, and custom design those criteria. I can even live with that; it is probably better than any predefined system for some of the things I want to do. The trouble is, I don't want to have those stupid lines of code printing with each card's title if I print them out. I'd like something just like this, but with a second "title bar" - one that can be filtered, separately OR in combination with the title (two filters, both operate to filter the list, but if one is blank it does not filter at all) but that remains hidden EXCEPT when the user chooses to create / edit it.

Does something that can do just this even exist? The thing would be a great, flexible tool for authors, researchers, what have you if only it didn't have those two annoying properties. (Even better, from my point of view, would be one that does all this does, saves in RTF or HTML or some other common format, and that allows any number of user-defined, hidden checkboxes that can be used to filter. Much less work, but I fear that would be too much to hope for... I've got to learn coding myself, so I can write the custom stuff I want and can't find.)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Notes / Database Software
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:33 PM »
IMO, what you are describing is InfoQube: www.sqlnotes.net

I'm the designer/author
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

raybeere

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Thanks; I'll check it out, and see how well it works for me. Looks like an interesting program either way; I'm just incredibly picky when it comes to notes. (Well, I already said I've got one program I'm happy with, and I'm still looking for another for some of my notes, which should tell you something...  ;D )

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:17 AM »
Finally, I found a program, AZZCardfile, that is almost what I need and want. Almost. But those two sticking points are driving me nuts. First, it saves all notes in a proprietary format. I hate that; I like open formats that are easily readable by half the stuff out there.

AZZ Cardfile version 4 is just out for testing, $10 upgrade fee.  Updated features (my emphasis):

These are the additional features, implemented since version 4.0.00

* Groups within List of cards
    * Improved security - program settings now held in .ini files instead of Windows registry
    * Improved security - creating temporary files is no longer part of the process
    * Easier for Vista OS - data files .azz stored inside Documents
    * Assign icons to cards
    * Card window editor has more options
    * Card header formatting, also for printing
    * File format changed to XML - easier restore of damaged files
    * Dialing option includes modem configuration
    * New hyperlinks dial: and card:
    * Advanced search
    * USB flash drive support and wizard for easy transfer
    * Text import wizard
    * Style templates for cards

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Even better, from my point of view, would be one that does all this does, saves in RTF or HTML or some other common format, and that allows any number of user-defined, hidden checkboxes that can be used to filter.

I would add a "plus one" for InfoQube (formerely SQLNotes) - in fact it even sounds like you're describing it ;)

It does save in a database format, but one that is accessible from other programmes (Jet ? ... I believe) so you might want to check that out more, but it's definitely *not* a proprietary format.
Notes are html - or mht is also an option if you want to save e.g. clipped web images as part of the file.

I only use relatively simple filtering so far but it can be *very* sophisticated, in fact the whole interface/views of items - it works on a filtering basis
Also, because it's in development there's great help available at the forum
Finally,
I've been using it for work stuff for about a year and have no worries/problems about stability (it's still in beta)
Tom