ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EULAlyzer™ 1.1

<< < (4/4)

Deozaan:
Edited to add: I'll make a somewhat humiliating confession here to make my point. I was brought up to always read anything legal I signed, and be sure I understood it before pen touched paper. I had already learned to spot a lot of nasty little glitches - and when that sample publishing contract was shown to me, I was lucky it was as an example and not an offer from the publisher who drew it up. I looked it over, failed to find a single thing wrong with it, and if I'd been offered it to sign, I would have, without any hesitation. Then, I learned how it would work if it came into court - and when the problems were pointed out, I could see them. It was quite an education. I've never looked at any legal agreement the same way since. And, just to save my pride, I was younger then.
-raybeere (January 09, 2009, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I admit I don't often read TOS/EULA for software/websites before clicking "I Agree" but I certainly do read printed documents that are handed to me before I read them. It sure is interesting how often I get funny looks from people when I actually take the time to read legal papers before putting my John Henry on the line.

raybeere:
Raybeere, would you mind posting the copy of that document online?
-Paul Keith (January 10, 2009, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have a copy of the document myself, and if I did I suspect it would be covered under copyright. This is something I saw years ago. I don't know if there's a copy online; I'll try to remember enough to find it on Google and put a link here later if I can find it - but locating a document without knowing an exact phrase from it is a tricky thing. So I can't make any promises. Sorry.

raybeere:
I admit I don't often read TOS/EULA for software/websites before clicking "I Agree" but I certainly do read printed documents that are handed to me before I read them. It sure is interesting how often I get funny looks from people when I actually take the time to read legal papers before putting my John Henry on the line.
-Deozaan (January 10, 2009, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

While I support anyone's right to make their own decisions, I should mention that, while I haven't come across any EULA that are as horrible as the sample contract I mentioned, I've found more than one with terms I was unhappy enough with to consider them deal-breakers - and there are web sites out there with very predatory TOS. At least for writers, there are sites where the simple act of posting something means you have lost all ability to ever sell that work, thanks to the TOS.

IMO, it depends on what you're going to do on the site. Post a simple comment? Sure, you can probably get away with ignoring the TOS. Spend much time there, posting anything of real value? Then, you'd better know what the TOS are before they burn you. Anyone with IP rights to consider has a lot to lose if they slip up and let themselves get taken advantage of. (Note: I have nothing against freeware, donationware, open source, - as long as it is the program author's choice. If I ever write anything worth sharing, I'll probably give it away. But that doesn't mean I want someone else cheating me, claiming ownership, etc.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version