topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How does one keep multiple computers sync?  (Read 5140 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How does one keep multiple computers sync?
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Since I work in multiple locations on a daily basis with each location having its own desktop computer.  I also have a home desktop and laptop plus a work laptop.  I like to have the same programs, (FARR and some other AHK stuff), firefox extensions plus any other downloads I deem important.

Its driving me crazy  :wallbash:

The easiest answer I fear would be to reduce the number of computers but I do like not lugging the laptop plus the desktops are more customizable as far as hardware goes.  I do have the capabilities to switch my work laptop to one that uses a docking station and put the dock in each building.  This would also allow me to have 2 monitors in all 3 places instead of just one.

Hmmmm, did I just answer my own question?  :-[

P.S.  I thought I posted this a few minutes ago but could never find any sign of a post.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How does one keep multiple computers sync?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:56 AM »
I remember reading an article on something called Briefcase which is part of windows hidden somewhere. Basically it syncs all listed files to a portable drive, then resyncs then to the next computer you plug it into.

Sounds like what you want IF you can fit it all on a flash drive

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:50 AM »
havent read this (dc) thread lately but it *is* recent and may help you
Do you keep two computers synchronized? i.e. work + home. If so, how?
Tom

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:22 AM »
not sure how I missed that thread tomos.  I did search the forum here but probably didn't use the right words.  It has lots of links to check out.

Fred, i had forgotten about briefcase.  Thanks for the reminder but I am not sure it will apply here.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:39 AM »
not sure how I missed that thread tomos.  I did search the forum here but probably didn't use the right words.  It has lots of links to check out.

I knew it was there ;) but couldnt find it with synching but did find it with synch, cest la vie sometimes :)
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:03 PM »
Quite some threads are started about this subject.

The best thing I can advise is an CVS system like CVS or SVN (both are opensource). There is a lot of sync software, both free, open source and paid. But when you have a spare system, use it as a CVS server. It makes syncing (more than two) PC's easier, you learn about a valuable tool and you can see over time who changed which file and why. You can also handle syncing trough the internet if you want with these.