topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Powerpoint screensavers ?  (Read 4146 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Powerpoint screensavers ?
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:43 PM »
Anyone know of any freeware that will convert PowerPoint files into screensavers?

There are loads of commercial offerings (mostly rather expensive) but I am going to do this so infrequently that it isn't worth buying something!

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Powerpoint screensavers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Here's an idea...

1. Save the presentation slides as "Device Independent Bitmap"

File --> Save As --> Create New Folder for the slides --> Enter File Name --> in the "Save as type" field select "Device Independent Bitmap" from the drop down menu --> Save. Following, You will get a popup confirmation box to export every slide in the presentation... click on "Every Slide" button.

2.jpg

3.jpg

2. Right-click on empty space on the desktop and select "Properties" --> select "Screen Saver" tab --> Select "My Pictures Slideshow" from the Screen saver drop down menu --> Click on "Settings" to change to the folder where the slides are saved.

4.jpg

3. to create .scr from the slides, have a look @ SaverWiz or WG Screen Saver Creator (both freeware).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 04:22 AM »
Thanks - yes I know how to do that but ideally I want something that will wrap up a PPT presentation (including audio and visual effects) into a screensaver package that can be installed (and preferably distributed).

I think I may be looking for something that doesn't exist here apart from expensive paid for options.

Has anyone ever worked out why ScreenSaver generating packages generally are so expensive when they are generally a simple one trick package?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Im guessing the reason why is that the authors dont want their tool to be used to make a lot of money for someone else who plans to sell a screensaver.

My new Multi Photo Quotes can be used to build and package your own screensavers and is free for non-commercial use.

Phil's idea is actually quite clever and i never thought of it  :up:

But i can see why Carol would want a PPT specific thing.. it might be possible to kludge together something which basically cleared the screen then launched the free powerpoint viewer to show a ppt, then killed the ppt viewer on user input.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:03 AM »
Im guessing the reason why is that the authors dont want their tool to be used to make a lot of money for someone else who plans to sell a screensaver.

I know what you mean - but does anyone really make a lot of money from pretty simple screensavers?

I can understand screensavers that look like fishbowls etc. but I have never seen anything that allows you to produce anything nearly as complicated in a simple screensaver design package - and many of these packages (which are basically photo slideshows) cost well over $100.