topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: VirtualBox - Top of the Lot  (Read 12296 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
VirtualBox - Top of the Lot
« on: January 28, 2009, 04:11 AM »
I understand why there has been no mention of VirtualBox around these parts yet - there are virtually (no pun intended) no good reviews of the product anywhere.

Fortunately, I found this rather comprehensive overview on Ars Technica. It's for Mac, but that doesn't particularly matter as VirtualBox is virtually (really, no pun intended) identical on every supported platform.

VirtualBox has been mentioned on DC in the past, but not since it became a real-world contender in the world of virtualisation. There are two threads here and here.

Personally, I would recommend VirtualBox above any other virtualisation solution available, paid or free.

Ehtyar.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: VirtualBox - Top of the Lot
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Personally, I would recommend VirtualBox above any other virtualisation solution available, paid or free.

+1

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Before seeing this post, I download and installed Virtual Box earlier today. Mostly because of so many mentions by people I follow on Twitter who use it. I hope I am as happy with it as they seem to be.

I found Microsoft's desktop offering to be lacking in features and VMware's free server to be adequate for my needs. I like the idea of Virtual Box being open source and supported by Sun.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:18 AM »
i'm thinking of using virtualbox inside window 7 to emulate the "winxp mode". how hard would that be?

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:00 AM »
My instincts say not very hard but I don't have first hand experience with Win7 XP mode to compare just how seamlessly the XP applications sit on the Win7 desktop.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:03 AM »
i'm thinking of using virtualbox inside window 7 to emulate the "winxp mode". how hard would that be?
not possible AFAIK if you want it to the extend of having apps appear in your windows 7 start menu.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Hi Folks,

Recently I had a techie recommend using a VirtualBox solution for my Linux install rather than a dual-boot. (Which is planned for Real Soon Now -- as soon as I reinstall the XP that GParted crashed out on the play puter, for which I need to handle a bootmanager problem.)

A full OS in a virtualbox does seem odd to me, however I do like the reference here, how should I use the VirtualBox ?  Linux, test environment sandboxing, this and that ?

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:06 AM by Steven Avery »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Good point justice, you do need a whole OS separately dedicated to the XP apps. My thinking is though once you've done that and have the XP os running then with features like shared clipboards, seamless windows, shared folders, etc the applications can talk to each other reasonably easily.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Anybody got an idea how the XP mode in Win7 actually works? AFAIK it does contain an entire XP install that's run in the VM, but how are applications handled? Do they get installed in the VM image, or are they installed on your Win7 system and sorta box-wrapped into the XP-VM?
- carpe noctem

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:59 PM »
VirtualBox, Nice Option.  :up:

I found PortableUbuntu alternative to Wubi : http://portableubuntu.demonccc.com.ar/ , i think even this app takes help of virtualization features as it reads partition on windows disk.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 07:55 PM »
i was thinking in parallel with how Microsoft implements the XP mode in Win 7, though i haven't tried it yet. (maybe over the weekend). currently one has to download Microsoft's Windows Virtual PC (beta) then download an image of WinXP and install both.

substituting Virtual PC with VirtualBox looks viable as the computer nowadays would have the juice to load a WinXP OS within Win7 to run a certain XP app without any compatibility problems. but as mentioned bu justice and Eóin earlier, the problem is to make a WinXP app "talk" to a Win7 seamlessly.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Anybody got an idea how the XP mode in Win7 actually works? AFAIK it does contain an entire XP install that's run in the VM, but how are applications handled? Do they get installed in the VM image, or are they installed on your Win7 system and sorta box-wrapped into the XP-VM?

For what I read, the applications get installed in the VM image, and shortcuts for the apps are created into a specific section of the Start menu of Windows 7.