Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 01, 2014, 02:37:08 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Code Reading" by Diomidis Spinellis  (Read 2328 times)
ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:47:04 AM »

Has anyone read "Code Reading" by Diomidis Spinellis [1]?

I am considering whether to obtain this book and am interested in DC folks' opinions regarding it.

If there are any other relevant resources concerning the improvement of one's ability to go from "no understanding" to "good understanding" of a piece of software that has at least source code available [2], I would be happy to hear about these too.

Any feedback and comments welcome smiley

[1] The author seems to have written Chapter 17 of "Beautiful Code" according to:

http://www.donationcoder....ic=9487.msg71057#msg71057

[2] Of course we can learn from documentation, diagrams, and other things too, but I'd like to consider the situation where I at least have access to some (preferably all) source code.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:08:54 AM »

This isn't very helpful but i looked at it a few years ago in the bookstore -- it looked good but not great and i decided to skip it.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:10:31 AM »

ps. when looking for book reviews i always start at amazon -- they aren't going to be the most reliable or detailed, but it's a good first place to look:

http://www.amazon.com/Cod...evelopment/dp/0201799405/
ewemoa
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »

Thanks for the comments smiley  Happy to see mixed reviews at Amazon -- if I decide to go through w/ it, it may be interesting to compare impressions.

I noticed that pieces of the book and a related article were available online:

Excerpt of Chapter 1 (html)
  Chapter 2 (pdf)
  Article (html) (pdf)

I found these via the book's home page.
mahesh2k
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »

@ewemoa

Thanks for the links to article,chapters.  thumbs up
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.1 ]