topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: calendar software - free  (Read 10314 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
calendar software - free
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:03 PM »
I am not sure what my options are for displaying a church calendar on a screen.  I am running MS Office 2003 Pro and have tried some templates (Office Online) but not quite what I want.  It would be nice to be able to print it and perhaps someday sync it to a PDA or even email it.

Our church, which is small, doesn't have lot of stuff going on so if I had to type in to several different programs it would be that big of a deal.

Surely there is something simple, without bloat out there.  Oh and let's not forget easy.  I have Calendar Creator 10 but it is not very simple to use.

Any ideas?

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: calendar software - free
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:33 PM »
1. UK's Kalender (mentioned in this post)

main_window_small.gif

2. Avignon Concept 2009 (This one is much more than just a calendar though)

Avignon Concept is the best freeware solution for all your Personal Data having data management for Books, Music, Films and Contacts, including a full fledged personal Document manager. Avignon Concept has off-course a To-do manager, which, combined with the Avignon Concept Calendar and Planning functions, gives you the complete system you need. On top of these functions, Avignon Concept also delivers a Finance manager enabling you to run your all your worldwide bank accounts. An Internet manager is also included.

2009-01-11_132943.jpg

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:06 AM »
Oh, you must give AirSet a look. Group calendars with separate personal calendars for each member of the group, task list, blogs, contacts, and more. Nice setup.

Jim

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:59 AM »
Also look at the Mozilla Calendar Project (There's a portable version of Sunbird @ http://portableapps....ice/sunbird_portable)

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:39 AM »
How about running Google calendar inside a Chrome application shortcut.  The advantage of this is that you could make the calendar public and allow members of the congregation to download it.

It also allows printing.

I've never tried it, but I'm sure that this would also support offline working.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I checked out Google calendar, Rainlendar, and the Lightning add on for Thunderbird last nite. Rainlendar and LIghtning were fairly simple to setup.  I started to check out the others this morning until the power went out.  But UK Kalendar looks promising. 

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I haven't found what I am looking for yet. Not sure if a HTML calendar is the answer or not.  Any free ones to recommend?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Try calimanjaro. I have been looking for a calendar software for quite sometime. Everything under the sun sucked pretty much in my opinion. I probably installed and checked out over 40 calendar applications(including outlook). They are generally designed in a linear way and they generally act like digital version of a paper calendar. One of the common issues with calendar apps is that they may excel in one thing but suck at the rest of the expected features, or they are abandonware. I found couple nice calendar apps but either they do not support ical-subscription or they have no yearly customizable views etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:27 PM by kartal »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:18 PM »
http://www.remindercube.com/Site.html

probably not what you are looking for
it's a busy little product

but it might be customizable to fit the need

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:24 PM »
I did try ReminderFox, simple but don't see a way to print off a monthly view, only a list of events. 

I am trying calimanjaro, it is simple and easy and seems to work out of the box ok.  I haven't tried printing yet.

I am downloading ReminderCube now, at 21 meg, it seems rather large for a calendar type program.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14 PM »
I haven't found what I am looking for yet. Not sure if a HTML calendar is the answer or not.  Any free ones to recommend?

Not certain about the first listed but the Airset, Google, and Mozilla ones are all free.

Jim

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 06:56 AM »
While calimanjaro is easy to use out of the box, it has some limits that I feel I need.  I wish there was a way to make the boxes bigger so it would hold more text which could be accomplished by adjusting the margins.  The only way to adjust the font size is when you print but that waste a lot of paper. 

I guess I will look at my Lightning extension for Thunderbird in more detail to see how it handles stuff.  Or look at Jim's recommendations a little closer.