topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What may you be missing?  (Read 19009 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What may you be missing?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 03:55 AM »
But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

and sometimes the frame around the painting is important.

A sheet of paper with a child's finger painting, held to a wall with scotch tape will never be appreciated by the masses* as much as that same finger painting in a fancy frame.

*parents always appreciate it more than strangers

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02 AM »
A sheet of paper with a child's finger painting, held to a wall with scotch tape will never be appreciated by the masses* as much as that same finger painting in a fancy frame.

*parents always appreciate it more than strangers
That's wonderful, app :) - I bet they wouldn't even have considered putting the stuff on display if they'd known the artist's age beforehand.

I do prefer frames to scotch tape, but that's as much to do with visual representation as well, as keeping the painting in good shape. Couldn't care less who made something if I enjoy looking at it, though.
- carpe noctem

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 04:09 AM »
There is also the issues with herd mentality and the psychological effects of one's current surroundings at play.

Would the crowd have behaved differently if there had been a staged group of people surrounding him, seeming like they were enjoying the music? Would that have encouraged more to stop and listen? Perhaps there were many that would have stopped but since nobody else did, they didn't either. They were following crowd behavior.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 05:32 AM »
...I'll opt for a jerkier perspective.

;D

Music, without the right marketing or the wrong passion, is just...sound

- ehh... shouldn't that be "without passion" or "with the wrong passion"?

---

I believe God gave us music to express feelings (passions) rather than clever thoughts.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Curt, the wrong passion. Guys like the example above couldn't get where they are if they didn't have passion but passion manifested the wrong way is like a poor man in his attempt to both cut down practice time as well as get listener feedback played heavy metal on an urban environment at the crack of midnight where everyone just wanted to get some rest.

With the right amount of luck, he would still get enough listener feedback or even get a party started which would motivate him further to practice and hone his skills.

But,

the most likely thing is that he'll get neighbors shouting at him to go to sleep.