ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HashTab - Great little tool ...

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I started using this years ago but just found out there is a new version available.

Basically it adds an extra tab in file properties in Windows Explorer and calculates the hash check values for the files. Currently it supports up to 12 different hash calculations (you can select which ones you want to actually calculate).

For example:

See: http://beeblebrox.org/hashtab/

ewemoa:
Nice!

Love the license text ;)

PhilB66:
HashCheck Shell Extension does that too (and is much smaller in size). It is for both 32-bit and x64 Windows.

HashCheck can process and verify the checksums/hashes stored in checksum files--these are files with a .sfv, .md4, .md5, or .sha1 file extension. Just double-click on the checksum file, and HashCheck will check the actual checksums of the listed files against those specified in the checksum file.
--- End quote ---

HashCheck will add a "Checksums" tab to the shell's file properties dialog so that you could easily check the hash of a file (or even multiple files and directories) from Windows Explorer. You can also save the results to a checksum file.

--- End quote ---

HashCheck adds an optional "Create Checksum File" command to the shell's context menu.
--- End quote ---

ewemoa:
Wow, also nice!  I like the checksumming of folder-content feature.

Mmm, source code :)

IainB:
Just thought I'd revive this thread to say that I've been using HashTab (v5.1.23) for a while now and am finding it very useful in my file management tasks - e.g., when I am wanting to determine whether two files of the same or different names are in fact the same (duplicated) file.
However, I might dispense with using it on those occasions when the xplorer² Checksum column is likely to be more useful (see below).

Also:

* HashCheck Shell Extension: Thanks to @PhilB66's mention of it in this thread (above), I am about to trial this.
* WinMD5sum: I have been using this on occasion.
* xplorer² Checksum column:: is a column you can invoke in xplorer² to give you a checksum of files in (say) a directory listing. The manual warns that invoking the Checksum column could be a resource hog:
x² extracts certain information from each file and displays it in different columns of the folder pane (e.g. checksum).
However, this additional consumes CPU resources and slows down other operations.
To make the operation more efficient, x² has a provision that it will display the information only if the file-size is below a [settable] threshold value.

--- End quote ---
(A very handy feature.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version