ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you guys have any experience with routers? because i have some questions

<< < (5/7) > >>

gexecuter:

gexecuter, there are two other things that affected the 660HW-61 that you can try before having to get into the config:
1) It's susceptible to power blips, it'll go into TTM1.  Try and put it on an UPS if you're in an area with supply fluctuations.
2) It's susceptible to heat.  Under the middle base it gets warm and then just stops communicating.  Either support it at both sides on something, (I use 2 matchboxes - hi-tech, huh), or mount vertically to let air flow and cool it.

-4wd
--- End quote ---

Funny that you mention power blips since in my house the power goes out very frequently. Something about the electrical sockets. I wish i could afford an UPS but i can't. About the heat stuff, i think i could come with something. even tough i can't think of something right now. btw any of those two issues can affect my speeds?

anyway reading the thread i have learned some useful info. I can't really stop a determined hacker from getting into my network, however i can stop everyday joe's. thankfully i don't live in a very urban place, just a small villa (that's is the word for a bunch of houses in location right?) so hopefully i should ok.

PS: i don't think my ISP would give me router's password because when the tech came to my home he said i couldn't change the Wifi network password or something like that.

4wd:

gexecuter, there are two other things that affected the 660HW-61 that you can try before having to get into the config:
1) It's susceptible to power blips, it'll go into TTM1.  Try and put it on an UPS if you're in an area with supply fluctuations.
2) It's susceptible to heat.  Under the middle base it gets warm and then just stops communicating.  Either support it at both sides on something, (I use 2 matchboxes - hi-tech, huh), or mount vertically to let air flow and cool it.

-4wd
--- End quote ---

Funny that you mention power blips since in my house the power goes out very frequently. Something about the electrical sockets. I wish i could afford an UPS but i can't.-gexecuter (January 10, 2009, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also have semi-frequent power blips/brownouts, (of course they only happen when I'm not here), as I mentioned above somewhere I also have a PC that's on 24/7 downloading from usenet.  So when the power blips, the router could go down and the PC stops downloading until I can get to it to power cycle the router.

I also don't have an UPS, (one of those things I haven't got around to), but I have minimised the effect of power blips when I'm away, (as I will be in about 18 hours for 7 weeks), by doing the following:
1) the router is plugged into a time switch that's set to power off at around 0100 and then power on 15 minutes later - this will get it out of TTM.
2) the PC is set in BIOS to power on at AC restore and power on at a fixed time every day.

This combination has allowed it to weather 3-4 months of me being overseas without a problem.

Although, if the problem is in your electrical house wiring then you have bigger problems.  I have a rental property that kept blowing the controller in the central heating, we thought it was the grid supply fluctuating and had a surge protector fitted to the supply/meter board.  It happened again, except power was lost to half the house.

It turned out to be one power outlet in the family room where the wires hadn't been properly secured/screwed in from new, (it was only built 8 years ago).  Vibration caused intermittent connection, which caused intermittent surges through that circuit, (which just happened to have the central heating controller on it), and bang.......there goes the controller.

We got off light, it could just as easily have started a fire.

About the heat stuff, i think i could come with something. even tough i can't think of something right now.
--- End quote ---

Come on, four matchboxes, one at each corner - you only need to raise it about 12-20mm :)

btw any of those two issues can affect my speeds?
--- End quote ---

Not that I'm aware of, both my mate and I run the P-660H(W)-61 and these are the only real problems we've found with them.  I even bought one for my parents i.l.o. these minor faults because it's features far outweigh them for the price.

However, without knowing how your ISP has set up the config it can't be ruled out that something in there is affecting it, eg. they've turned on Media Bandwidth Management with the wrong settings.

PS: i don't think my ISP would give me router's password because when the tech came to my home he said i couldn't change the Wifi network password or something like that.

--- End quote ---

Can I ask who your ISP is, (also, have you tried your ISP's name as the password) ?

This is why I really hate having to use 'their' equipment, (which I'm not, but I had a choice), however if you know the username/password and basic settings for the ADSL then you can do a factory reset by, (IIRC), pushing in the button on the back while powering on the router, hold the reset button for 10 seconds then release.  The router should go through it's diagnostics and start up with no internet connection, you should be able to enter the config then using '1234'.

Then enter Wizard Setup, you'll need the following info:

Mode:               Routing
Encapsulation:    PPPoE    (usually)
Multiplex:           LLC
Virtual Circuit ID:
                 VPI: 8
                 VCI: 35

The bottom 3 values, (Multiplex, VCI, VPI), you need to get from your provider - the ones I've given are a general default.

On the next page:

Service Name: Telefonica  (just guessing :) )
User Name:
Password:
Obtain an IP automatically
Connect on Demand  Max timeout 7200
NAT:              SUA

You need the 'User Name' and 'Password' from your ISP, the other options can be changed once a connection is established.  Once you click Next it should connect, (IIRC).

As I mentioned above, I'm off for 7 weeks shortly so any questions later than about 1800 AEDST today will incur a delayed response :)

4wd:
More and more I realize that the internet now is both the biggest convenience and the biggest curse on the planet.

This thread is another painful reminder of the prodigious amounts of money and time wasted on trying to make our machines safe.
[/gof]-cranioscopical (January 10, 2009, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Watch out Ehtyar!

He's gunning for 'El Presidente de la lámina de estaño sombrero brigada'1, just like kartal.

1 - Blame Google Translate if I screwed up.

40hz:
I have just set up a machine that is to be used for a limited set of business purposes only.
It has no need to be connect to another machine in any way.
It just sits there, isolated, doing its job.
None of its capacity is wasted on trying to protect itself.
What a relief it is to deal with something so simple.
-cranioscopical (January 10, 2009, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am so happy to hear somebody else is doing that.

About three years ago I put all my business's financial, planning and related apps on a separate machine named LucaPacioli, and I never looked back. It doesn't connect to anything other than a printer via a parallel cable.

All it does is "mind the store" for me. Like your machine, it just sits in its own little universe - keeping track of billable time and materials, generating invoices, doing accounting, assisting  with business and marketing plans, etc.

There is absolutely no security software on this machine other than TrueCrypt. And nothing on it ever gets updated unless absolutely necessary.

And it runs like a champ.

Quite a relief indeed. :Thmbsup:

gexecuter:
I hope you are having fun in your vacation 4WD!

I dunno what electrical problem in my house is actually, all i know is something when we start some devices (like microwaves, electrical water heaters,etc.) the power goes out. It reallly hasn't caused much trouble since no stuff has been burned so it's just very annoying.

I did what you told me and put 4 matchboxes below the router, low tech but it works.

My ISP is indeed telefonica chile, i did try their name as the password with no luck. I dunno what username and password are you talking about. The only password that the tech guy gave was for connecting to the wifi in the notebook. If you mean the user/password that i had to use before i had the router then yes i do have that.

I don't plan resetting the router anytime soon but one thing is tempting me, the Media Bandwidth Management is for splitting the bandwith right? i could use that to give my PC and the notebook a 50/50 % of bandwith each right? that could be really useful.

Anyway 4WD i hope that when you read this you will have had an awesome vacation. I could have wrote this when you had came back but i would probably forgotten it by then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version