ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you guys have any experience with routers? because i have some questions

<< < (4/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
Off topic a bit here (surprise!)

Please put aside your initial reactions of "Good heavens, are you mad/what about...?/haven't you considered...?"

I have just set up a machine that is to be used for a limited set of business purposes only.
It has no need to be connect to another machine in any way.
It just sits there, isolated, doing its job.
None of its capacity is wasted on trying to protect itself.
What a relief it is to deal with something so simple.

Those Luddites had something!

Darwin:
Chris - is it connected to the internet...? I take it that the answer is "no".

Darwin:
@Paul - my position is this: educate yourself about the effectiveness of each of these security options and implement the top security "cocktail" that you are able to within the limitations of your hardware. The key is to be aware of the risks. I think the "pundits" I keep referring to are attempting to debunk myths about wireless security because to the uneducated the perception is that there is either no need for any of these measures (or people are completely unaware of the need for them) or that some of the older measures are sufficient and they then never give the security of their home network another thought. I have a friend who simply enabled MAC filtering and left it at that. He's not had any trouble, but then he lives on a rural road with about 25 metres separating him from his neighbours on either side and about 50 separating him from the road and easily 150 from his neighbour to the rear. The likelihood of anyone making the effort to sit outside his road to try to hack into his network, and to do so unnoticed, is pretty slim! If he did that on the second floor of an apartment building in Vancouver, New York, Seoul, or Beijing he'd be asking for very serioius trouble indeed!

f0dder:
I'm not blocking my SSID (because it makes things easier when friends with laptops come by - and they kinda often do). It's a non-standard SSID btw, so I'm not going to be hurt by precomputed attacks against "LINKSYS", "NetGear" etc SSIDs. The same goes for MAC filtering... both are pretty useless anyway. I run WPA2-PSK encryption... I don't expect that I'll be targeted by somebody who's committed enough to launch a distributed GPU cracking attempt :)

cranioscopical:
Chris - is it connected to the internet...? I take it that the answer is "no".-Darwin (January 10, 2009, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

[gof]
No, it simply exists in it's own little world.
More and more I realize that the internet now is both the biggest convenience and the biggest curse on the planet.

This thread is another painful reminder of the prodigious amounts of money and time wasted on trying to make our machines safe.
[/gof]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version