ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you guys have any experience with routers? because i have some questions

<< < (2/7) > >>

4wd:
Experience with routers varies significantly. You'll find it difficult to pinpoint a brand that has good reviews across the board. If you're going to purchase a new unit I would suggest choosing something that it's brand new to the market and that has solid reviews.-Ehtyar (January 09, 2009, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I would have said something that's been on the market for a while and has solid reviews.

No use buying something that's 'brand new to the market' and then 8 months later everyone suddenly finds that the mCPU in it blows up due to the date matching and IP address ;)

The model that i have looking at the bottom of the router is Zyxel P-660HW-T1 V2. The password that you provided didn't work, maybe my ISP changed it? if i reset the router i should be able to configure it because the password would be cleared right?
-gexecuter (January 09, 2009, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Resetting will clear all settings including the login/password for your connection if there is one, so you'll lose your internet.  Ideally, you want to get in before you have to resort to resetting - I don't suppose your ISP would give you the password ?

Or, it may be something simple like your phone number or the ISP uses a default password for all their routers, doing a Google for your ISP name router "default password" might bring up something.
Also try things as simple as 'admin' or 'root'.

BTW gexecuter, if you manage to get into the config of your router BEFORE you do anything, go through every single config screen and use a screen capture program to note the settings.  Also, find out what your login/password for the connection is from your ISP is before you change anything.

While I am running MAC filtering on my DLink WB-1310 router, it is a waste of time, according to the pundits. If your hardware supports it, you should be running WPA-2 encryption.-Darwin (January 09, 2009, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes well, one of the 2 or 3 things that used to cause problems on the Zyxel was spontaneous reboot when using WPA - ergo, don't use it.  Don't know whether it's been fixed with a firmware update or the implementation is slightly different on the T1.

WPA-2 has been cracked anyway, so it's not much better than WEP.

128bit WEP, MAC filtering, non-broadcast SSID, static IPs and the SPI firewall are a lot simpler and just as good - the idea is to keep Joe Public out, you've got no hope against someone who's determined to get in.

gexecuter, there are two other things that affected the 660HW-61 that you can try before having to get into the config:
1) It's susceptible to power blips, it'll go into TTM1.  Try and put it on an UPS if you're in an area with supply fluctuations.
2) It's susceptible to heat.  Under the middle base it gets warm and then just stops communicating.  Either support it at both sides on something, (I use 2 matchboxes - hi-tech, huh), or mount vertically to let air flow and cool it.

1 - Thumb Twiddling Mode

Ehtyar:
Manufacturers should not be permitted to advertise MAC address filtering as a security feature. Put your wireless NIC on ad-hoc mode and you'll see the MAC addresses of all nearby wireless interfaces. It is then a trivial operation to fake (or spoof) the MAC address of one of the interfaces permitted to access the network.

Resetting the router (via a reset switch or button) should clear the password.
Experience with routers varies significantly. You'll find it difficult to pinpoint a brand that has good reviews across the board. If you're going to purchase a new unit I would suggest choosing something that it's brand new to the market and that has solid reviews.-Ehtyar (January 09, 2009, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I would have said something that's been on the market for a while and has solid reviews.

No use buying something that's 'brand new to the market' and then 8 months later everyone suddenly finds that the mCPU in it blows up due to the date matching and IP address ;)
-4wd (January 09, 2009, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
That was indeed what i meant to say. My bad, ty 4wd.

Ehtyar.

Darwin:
128bit WEP, MAC filtering, non-broadcast SSID, static IPs and the SPI firewall are a lot simpler and just as good - the idea is to keep Joe Public out, you've got no hope against someone who's determined to get in.
-4wd (January 09, 2009, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true - and pretty much what I was getting at WRT more rural locations being less risky than urban ones... WRT WEP vs WPA-2, you're quite right as well, my point was more that if you might as well use the highest level of encryption supported by your hardware. My understanding is that WEP is pretty much useless at keeping someone out, WPA can be cracked in minutes, and WPA-2 is secure. For now.

FWIW, I use static IPs, MAC filtering, and WPA-2. I don't hide my SSID, though I keep meaning to do it. DO note, however, that the pundits do not consider this worth the time or the effort, either.

I'm with 4wd on this, though - you really want to keep Joe Q. Public from stealing bandwidth, because a determined hacker will get in now matter what you do. To that end (keeping the 12 year old in the apartment above you out of your network), any/all of these "tricks" should be applied.

4wd:
My understanding is that WEP is pretty much useless at keeping someone out, WPA can be cracked in minutes, and WPA-2 is secure. For now.
-Darwin (January 09, 2009, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, so maybe 'cracked' was a bit premature on my part but the end is nigh  ;)

FWIW: Pyrit takes a step ahead in attacking WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK, the protocol that today de-facto protects public WIFI-airspace.
--- End quote ---

I'm with 4wd on this, though - you really want to keep Joe Q. Public from stealing bandwidth...-Darwin (January 09, 2009, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

As long as I can keep Joe Public out of my data I don't mind if he grabs a little internet action over my WiFi if that's what turns him on.
Mind you, he'd have to compete with my usenet downloader which runs max bandwidth 24/7/365(6) - the most effective bandwidth stealing deterrent is when there's no bandwidth left to steal  :D

Darwin:
s long as I can keep Joe Public out of my data I don't mind if he grabs a little internet action over my WiFi if that's what turns him on.-4wd (January 09, 2009, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D Point taken! Only compelling reason to keep someone from stealing your bandwidth is that in some US states what someone does with YOUR bandwidth is your responsibility ie the onus is on you to secure your network. Failure to do so leaves you vulnerable to prosecution for any criminal activities that are conducted using your bandwidth... I am not sure what the regs are WRT this in Canada, but I have this niggling feeling that they are the same. My big "thing" with security is my data, though - someone who can get on my network is in a position to start stealing my info. Identity theft, anyone?  :o

Quite right about the end being nigh with WPA-2. I don't actually know why I bothered to upgrade my hardware to support it (I did, about four months ago) given that it's "cracking" is likely imminent!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version